Y/N Scrooge-Steve Harrington

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year.

What a load of bullshit. All Christmas does is set you up for disappointment. You get your hopes up only to have them crash and burn. Everyone is always so cheerful over the holidays. I just didn't get it.

I walked into Family Video, saw all the decorations, and instantly wanted to hide under a rock.

"Well don't you look cheery," Robin laughed when she returned to the counter with a box of movies.

"I hate the cold," I mumbled as I walked past her. Once I got to the employee's lounge, I took off my jacket. I pulled on my vest as the door opened.

"There you are," Steve said as I turned around. "Robin said you were here."

"Yep," I sighed. "Yay. Another glorious day at Family Video."

"I see you're still on your Christmas-hating binge, Scrooge."

"I thought you of all people would understand," I mumbled.

I started to walk away but he grabbed my hand, stopping me. "Hey," he whispered. "I do understand, Y/N. I know the holidays are hard for you. I'm just trying to fix. . ."

"Fix what?" I asked. "Me?"

"No," Steve said quickly. "I didn't mean it like that, Y/N."

"Then what did you mean?" I asked, my breath getting caught in my throat. "What did you want to fix, Steve?"

Steve grabbed both my hands and pulled me into his chest. "I don't want to fix you," he whispered. "You're my best friend, Y/N. I think you're perfect just the way you are. What I wanted to fix was the effect this holiday has on you. I hate seeing you so depressed. I wish I could make it better."

I slowly pulled my hands out of his, instantly wrapping my arms around myself. I cleared my throat and shook my head.

"You can't," I said under my breath.

"I wish," he sighed. "I wish I could bring your mom back, Y/N."

"No one can bring my mom back."

* * * * *

Steve and I worked our shifts, not really speaking to each other. I tried to let work distract me but it was hard since everyone was renting Christmas movies. Steve seemed in his head all afternoon. It wasn't until I was on my break did I understand why.

"You okay?" Robin asked Steve. "You've been in your head a lot today."

"Just thinking about Y/N."

"Aren't you always?" She teased. She suddenly cleared her throat. "Look, I know the month of December isn't exactly easy on her, but she's a big girl. She can. . ."

"Y/N's mom passed away on Christmas Eve," Steve cut her off.

"What?"

"Y/N was spending the days leading up to Christmas with her grandparents," Steve started to explain. "Her parents were on the way when they slipped on black ice. Her parents were both sent to the hospital. Her dad woke up. . . Her mom didn't."

"Damn," Robin sighed. "No wonder she hates Christmas."

"It didn't help that her dad kinda. . . lost himself after he woke up." Steve paused before continuing, "I don't blame him. He lost the love of his life and it was his fault. If I lost Y/N because of something I did? It would destroy me."

"Steve," Robin started, but Steve continued.

"Y/N's dad spends all of December with a bottle in his hand. Christmas Eve, he usually disappears until New Years."