Late Nights, Early Talks-Joe Keery

The house shook from the party. Usually, I don't attend these things but when you're best friend is attending one and you haven't seen him much since his first acting job, you suffer through it.

"Y/N!"

I gasped when someone picked me up and spun me around. When they put me back down, it took me a second to recover. I turned around to see Joe smiling excitedly at me.

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I asked. "My best friend Joe is small and insecure. You are confident with a side of cocky."

"I'm not cocky," Joe pouted.

"Of course not," I teased cupping his cheek in my hand and gently patting his face. He laughed when I pushed his face away from me. I turned around and headed into the kitchen.

Joe and I caught up for the next hour. Well, we tried. After about twenty minutes, some of his coworkers dragged him away. I walked around this mysterious house, not sure what to do with myself.

I looked at the clock on my phone and sighed. I've officially been here for two hours. I glanced around and soon realized how wasted everyone else was. I threw away my third soda and walked outside. I wrapped my arms around myself the second the cold l night air hit me.

"There she is!"

I turned around, slightly laughing when I saw Joe stumbling outside.

"Here I am," I joked. I gasped when he threw his arms around me. I barely caught us before Joe took us both down. "Wow," I sighed, pushing him off me, "how much have you had to drink?"

"Not enough."

I coughed when I got a faceful of alcohol. "Too much," I corrected. "Promise me you'll switch to water."

"That's no fun," Joe pouted as he collapsed onto a bench.

"It's safe," I sighed as I sat next to him. Butterflies formed in my stomach when I saw Joe's eyes soften.

"Awww," he cooed. "You're worried about me."

"I'm always worried about you," I whispered. "You're my best friend, Joe. I'm extremely proud of you and all you've worked for but. . . I worry about you in LA alone. Sure, I'm at school but that's three hours away. If you need me, I can't. . ."

"Y/N," Joe sang. "You think I don't worry about you? I always worry about you, gummy bear."

"Gummy bear?" I giggled. "You've called me some childish, I'll be honest, weird nicknames before. But why gummy bear?"

My breath got stuck in my throat when Joe reached over and grabbed my face in both of his hands. "Because," he drunkenly giggled, "your face is so smushy-wushy-gushy-bushy and adorable and beautiful and perfect and. . ."

I gasped when Joe leaned in and smashed his lips to mine. Everything about this felt unreal. I closed my eyes and kissed him back. The second I opened my mouth, he pushed his tongue in. Our tongues battled for dominance as Joe let go of my face. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him.

Suddenly, reality hit me. I was kissing the secret love of my life, a moment I would never forget, but he would.

My stomach sank as I slowly broke the kiss. I looked into his eyes, hoping to see even an inkling of feelings. Instead, I saw the drunken haze that came after way too many beers.

"I can't believe it," I mumbled.

"What?" Joe chuckled drunkenly.

"I can't believe my first kiss was with the guy I've been dreaming of being with, but he is too drunk to remember it."