Thy Name is Jealousy-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

"Here we are," I sighed, throwing my car in park. "So, remember, once you get in there. . ."

"Pretend like I don't care," Dustin finished.

"You don't care."

"I don't care."

"There you go. You're learning my friend."

He reached up and lowered the visor, checking his reflection.

"Hey," I sighed closing the visor. "You look great, okay?"

"Okay," he sighed.

"Now," I said, clearing my throat, "you're gonna go in there. . ."

"Yeah."

"You look like a million bucks."

"Yeah!" He laughed.

"And you're going to slam down. . ."

"Like a lion," Dustin cut me off. I cringed when he rolled his tongue or something, trying to sound like a lion.

"Yeah," I elongated, "don't do that. Okay?"

"Okay."

Something behind Dustin caught my attention. I couldn't help when my breath got caught in my throat. Y/N and her date were helping take tickets at the front table. She was smiling and laughing as she talked to the kids. Ryan, on the other hand, had his arms folded across his chest and was looking at something in the gym.

"You're so pathetic," Dustin laughed.

"And why is that?" I challenged, finally tearing my eyes away from Y/N.

"Because you had your chance," Dustin scoffed.

"My chance to what?"

"Your chance with Y/N!"

"What?" I stuttered.

"Don't you remember?" He smirked. "When we were talking about the dance, she asked if you were planning on chaperoning and you said you would rather battle the Demogorgon nude than go to the dance and watch a bunch of middle schoolers awkwardly dance."

"So?"

"So," he elongated, "that was Y/N hinting at wanting you to go with her."

"Whatever," I scoffed. "Are you gonna get out or am I going to have to push you?"

"Alright alright," he laughed. "I'm going."

"Hey," I stopped him. "Good luck."

He sent me a look before jumping out of my car. I watched as Dustin jogged up the steps and walked into the school. When Y/N saw him, she instantly left Ryan and ran to give Dustin a hug. I rolled my eyes at Ryan's scoff, but watching Y/N interact with Dustin made my face burn. She was great with the kids. I loved watching her "Momma Bear" come out when it came to the kids' safety.

I cleared my throat and put my car in Drive. I pulled away from the door, stopping at the exit. I looked in my rearview mirror, studying the entrance to the school.

With a grunt of frustration, I put my car in reverse. I parked my car and shoved my keys in my pocket as I trudged inside the school.

"Steve?"

Y/N giggled excitedly as she wrapped me in a hug. "I'm happy you changed your mind," she whispered.

"Me too," I whispered as I wrapped my arms around her waist. I slowly let her go, leaning out of our embrace.

"Where's Ryan?" I tried to ask without sounding too bitter.

"He started his rounds," she explained. "I'm taking tickets for another ten minutes and then I'm in charge of the refreshment table. Ryan is supposed to be making sure kids aren't doing things in the bathroom."