Secret Birthday-Joe Keery

When you work on a big Hollywood set, things are crazy and constantly busy. There isn't much time to celebrate a CGI artist's birthday.

Being an only child, my parents always made a big deal about my birthday. Breakfast in bed, a shopping trip with my mom, visiting my dad for lunch, and a fancy dinner where we go to my favorite restaurant all dressed up.

When I went to college, I was so busy with school, projects, and work that I didn't have time to celebrate my birthday. My parents still tried to celebrate it though. They'd call me and wish me a happy birthday. My dad always sent me money to go to dinner and my mom always sent more money for to me go shopping. They'd make sure to send my gift the day before so I'd have something to open on my birthday.

Today, I had to work on my birthday and it really bothered my mom.

"I don't understand why you couldn't take the time off," she sighed into the phone.

"We're in the middle of the season," I chuckled.

"So? One day is not going to kill them." I heard my mom sigh before she added, "I feel bad that your father and I didn't come visit you. Now you're stuck at work all day."

"You came down last year," I tried to reassure her. "And besides, you and Dad live five and a half hours away. You can't drive down on a Tuesday to take me to dinner."

"But it's your birthday," Mom sighed.

I let out a small laugh. "Besides, I can't just take a day off because it's my birthday. The special effects we're working on are insanely difficult."

"At least tell me you're going to go to a fancy restaurant all dressed up."

"Going to a restaurant in a fancy dress by myself is kinda pathetic, don't you think?"

"What are the kids saying these days?" She asked with a giggle. "Treat yourself!"

"Mom!" I laughed. "Look, I will pick up some cupcakes from Albertsons on my way home."

"No," she said quickly. "I want you to go to a nice bakery and get yourself a whole cake! Splurge and get you an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins."

"How about I get both?" I teased.

"I'll have Dad send some extra money to pay for them."

"You don't have to do that," I sighed. "I was kidding about the two cakes, Mom."

"Honey, my little girl is living in a big city by herself and doesn't have anyone to celebrate her birthday with. Of course we're sending you money."

"Love you, Mom."

"Love you too, sweetheart. Happy birthday."

"It's your birthday?"

I turned around to see Joe standing in my office doorway.

"It is," I said, slightly clearing my throat.

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't think it was a big deal," I shrugged.

"Y/N, we've been friends since season 1," Joe sighed as he walked in and sat on the edge of my desk. "How could I not know today was your birthday? You know when mine is."

"It's really not a big deal, Joe. I don't celebrate my birthday."

"Why not?"

"I don't know," I sighed. "I'm an only child and my parents live in Arizona. With my birthday being on a Tuesday, my dad couldn't miss work just so they can take me to dinner. They can't drop everything and drive the five and a half hours."