Unlike the Others-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

When the bell above the door rang, my heart jumped into my throat. I looked up and saw her walking in.

"Morning, Steve," she greeted with the smile that always made my stomach flip.

"Morning," I stuttered. "Can I help you find something?"

"I need an action movie," she sighed as she walked over and leaned on the counter.

"Oh yeah?" I laughed. "Tired of rom-coms?"

"Little bit," she shrugged. "I need to mix up my weekly movie night."

"What type of movies does your boyfriend like?" I asked, trying to be sneaky.

"No boyfriend," she laughed. "Just me. I babysit for this family every Friday night. The kids fall asleep at like 7 so then I'm stuck until 9:30, sometimes 10, with nothing to do. I've already read every book I own. And every book they own. Now, my goal is to watch every movie you guys own."

"Well, you're almost there," I chuckled. "The action movies are over there. If you have any questions, I probably won't be able to answer them."

"I'll keep that in mind," she winked as she reached over and grabbed my arm, giving it a squeeze.

As she walked through the aisles, I kept glancing at her. It felt like I could barely keep my eyes off her. I jumped when a box was practically thrown on the counter. I looked over to see Robin joining me behind the computer.

"I've never seen you hesitate to flirt with a girl," Robin teased. She saw the look on my face and her eyes softened. Only a little, but hey, for Robin a little is progress.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I stuttered, fixing my ugly green vest.

"Come on," Robin scoffed. "You've been obsessed with Y/N from afar since she and her family moved here. Two years ago!"

"I have not," I scoffed. I saw the look on her face and sighed as I leaned against the counter. "Fine. Maybe I've. . . noticed her. . . A little."

"Duh," Robin laughed. "So, why won't you ask her out?"

"Because," I sighed, running my fingers through my hair, "what if I ask her out and she thinks I'm some stalker?"

"You kinda are," Robin laughed. She patted me on the shoulder as she walked away. She stopped on the other side of the counter and sighed.

"She might think you're some stalker," she corrected. "Or she could be flattered and be dying to go out with you. I mean, think about it, Steve. She comes in here. Every week. And it's not because our movies are any good. You and I both know, they're crap. So why else would Y/N come in here?"

"The candy?" I tried to tease. Robin rolled her eyes before heading to the kid section to restock the latest returns.

I leaned my elbows on the counter and put my face in my hands. I slowly pulled my hands away from my face as I thought about the first time I met Y/N. It was my senior year. It felt like a lifetime ago.

She was new but she didn't really talk to anyone. She kept to herself the entire school year. Over the summer, she came by the ice cream shop a couple of times. As far as I knew, she was oblivious to what was really going on in Hawkins.

I preferred it that way.

"Are you okay?"

I looked up to see Y/N studying me with soft eyes.

"Yeah," I chuckled, trying to act as normal as I could. "Did you find anything good?"

"We'll see," she shrugged with a small smile. I couldn't ignore the feeling in my stomach as I checked out her movie.