Desperate First Kiss-Keys

Working for a video game company has pros and cons. Your job is always needed, but you sit in front of a computer all day long. You have great insurance, but you're surrounded by lonely guys who think they're God's gift to women.

You get fun nicknames, but they usually are based on something embarrassing. Not anyone else's nicknames though. Just mine.

I walked into work, instantly tucking my head and slumping my shoulders. I tightened my grip on my bag as I walked over to my nook. I've been working as a graphic designer for about two years, and I wonder every day if it's worth it.

"Hey, Y/N."

I looked up and smiled when I saw Keys walking over with a cup of coffee in his hands.

"Hi, Keys."

"Did you see that accident on your way in?"

"See it?" I scoffed. "Why do you think I'm 45 minutes late?"

He laughed as he started walking with me to my desk. "Don't worry. Antwan doesn't usually get here until 11. Besides, it's not like any of us are going to rat you out."

"Thanks," I laughed.

Keys was the only one in the entire company that doesn't call me by that embarrassing nickname. In fact, he tried to stop others from calling me it.

"Hey, KV," Mouser teased as he walked up to us.

"Come on," Keys sighed, slightly taking a step toward me.

"It's okay, Keys," I whispered. "KV?" I bit back my smirk as I turned toward Mouser. "KV? Really? You're too lazy to say the whole thing?"

"Do you prefer me to call you Kissing Virgin?"

"I prefer you to call me by my name," I scoffed. "It's shorter than that damn nickname."

"Where's the fun in that?" He laughed as he walked away. I took a shaky breath, trying to get rid of the lump that just formed in my throat.

"Y/N," Keys started.

"Wow," I laughed harshly. "I've been here not even ten minutes and already want to quit."

I started to walk away but Keys quickly grabbed my hand and pulled me back.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. "I really wish I could get them to stop calling you that. It's only Mouser and a few other guys."

"It's fine," I tried to shrug off. Keys shook his head, tightening his grip on my hand.

"Please don't lie to me, Y/N," he said under his breath.

"Keys," I sighed, "I have a lot of work to do before the New Year's Eve party tonight."

I finally pulled my hand out of his grip and walked back to my desk. The rest of the day, it felt like whenever I looked up, Keys was watching me. During lunch, I went and got a sandwich from across the street. When I got back, I kept my head down and finished my work.

Finally, it was time to go home and get ready for the party. I started to pack up and as I stood up, Keys was walking toward me. He fell in sync with me as I started to leave.

"Are you going tonight?" He asked.

"Maybe," I shrugged. "I probably won't stay the whole time."

"It won't be that bad," he said, trying to be optimistic. He saw the look on my face and laughed. "You're right. It's going to be horrible. Let's stick together."

"Sounds good."

* * * * *

I checked how I looked in my dress before leaving my apartment. The entire way back to Soonami Studios, I debated about turning around. I could ring in 2023 by myself in my apartment. It would be much better than ringing it in with a bunch of drunk coders and designers.