Little Notes-Steve Harrington

Steve's POV

I smiled when I saw the sticky note on my desk.

Study session after school?

I sat down and instantly grabbed my own sticky notes and wrote my answer. I stuck it in my notebook to save it for later. Since the first day of high school, Y/N and I have been leaving notes for each other.

On the first day, Y/N was really nervous. After comparing our schedules, I saw that I had English first and she had it directly after me. We switched up like that every couple of classes. When I got to English, I borrowed a sticky note from the teacher. I wrote a message to Y/N on it and left it there.

After class, I waited outside the classroom and caught Y/N. I sent her a wink and whispered where she should sit. That started the tradition of us leaving each other notes.

At the end of history, I left my response on our desk. I walked out with a small smirk on my face. I didn't see Y/N until lunch. When I did see her, I straighten up as she sat next to me.

"So?" I asked. I laughed when Y/N put a sticky note on my forehead. I took it off and saw the smiley face she drew on it.

"Did your mom borrow your car again?"

"No," she said, getting her lunch out of her backpack. "I have my car today. I can meet you at your house after school."

"Sounds good," I said, playfully nudging her shoulder.

We ate our lunch in silence. She stole some of my grapes and I stole some of her chips. Suddenly, I noticed Y/N get a little nervous. I looked over at her but saw Tommy and Carol glaring. I reached over and gently placed my hand on her knee.

"Ignore them," I whispered. "It's just you and me, Y/N."

"All the way," she chuckled.

After lunch, Y/N and I walked to PE. This was one of the few classes that we had together. We went out separate ways when we got to the locker rooms to get changed. I didn't see her until her class was already in the gym and my class had just walked in.

"Boys! Start running laps. 10 of them!" Coach Walker yelled. I looked over and saw Y/N watching me. She sent me a wink before going back to passing the volleyball back and forth with one of her friends (I think her name was Lily). I saluted her before starting to jog.

As I started my third lap, I noticed Jason, a guy on the basketball team, running ahead of me. It wasn't that he was running ahead of me that was rubbing me the wrong way. It was the way he was watching Y/N. I watched him for the next lap and the entire time, Jason didn't take his eyes off of her. I jogged up next to him when I couldn't hold back anymore.

"Why are you staring at Y/N?" I asked, trying to control my protective anger.

"I'm gonna ask her out."

"What?" I scoffed.

"Unless you plan to," Jason said, glancing at me with a knowing smirk. "Then again, you've been her best friend for like ten years. You've had your chance, Harrington. Why don't you step aside and let another man have a chance."

He sped up, slowly running further ahead of me, but I was too angry to keep pace. I looked over at Y/N to see her watching me. She mouthed something to me but I couldn't make it out. I ran the next six laps to try and get rid of my anger.

It didn't work.

Y/N and I don't have classes the rest of the day, but I needed to talk to her. I slipped a note into her locker, knowing that she usually checked her locker before math to grab her textbook.