The Girl in The Rain-Joe Keery

Joe's POV

I walked into my apartment, no relief washing over me as I kicked off my shoes and put my keys on the hook by the door. I went to my kitchen and instinctively grabbed a beer out of the fridge. I looked at it in my hand, unable to bring myself to open it.

I've been doing this a lot lately. For a reason I can't pinpoint, I've been going through my daily routine in a blur. Sometimes it felt like I was never really awake.

My friends and family have tried to reach out to me and help. I went along with it at first. I hung out with them, I talked to them, I smiled and laughed. But as soon as I got home, I'd fall right back into my 'zombiness'. Eventually, I just stopped trying.

I looked out the kitchen window when it started to rain. For the first time in almost three months, I felt something. Not sure what it was but it got me to leave. I grabbed my keys, slipped my shoes back on, and tossed my hood over my head.

I drove to my favorite coffee shop not too far from my house. I walked inside, smiled at the excited fans, and ordered my usual drink. After paying, I stepped to the side and waited. Once it was ready, I took my drink and sat at a table by the window.

I slowly drank my coffee, mindlessly scrolling through my phone. It didn't matter. Nothing on my phone distracted me. I locked it and put it face down on the table.

My cup was halfway to my lips when something out of the corner of my eye caught my attention. My entire body froze as I focused on the girl on the street corner. She was waiting for the light to turn so she could cross the street. She had a light pink umbrella and dark purple rain boots. She had a smile on her face that made it hard to look away. She had headphones on and was nodding, slightly dancing, and lip-syncing to whatever song was playing.

There was something about her. . .

My heart dove into my stomach when the light turned and my mystery girl started walking away. I grabbed my phone and didn't bother to put my hood up as I bolted out the door. I barely got halfway across the street before the light changed. I had to sprint the rest of the way.

I slowed down when I got close to her. I continued to follow her until she went inside a small bookstore. I waited outside, watching as she walked up and down the shelves. My eyesight refocused and I wasn't looking at my mystery girl. I was looking at my reflection in the bookstore window. And I looked insane. I pulled my hood over my head and turned around, immediately heading back to my car.

I drove home, thinking about my mystery girl. I got ready for bed, thinking about my mystery girl. I fell asleep with my last thoughts on my mystery girl. The second I woke up, I was right back to thinking about my mystery girl.

When I got to work that day and filmed the scheduled scenes, I wasn't as deep in my haze as normal. This time, my haze was focused on my mystery girl.

"You look different."

I turned around to see David Harbour standing in the doorway of my trailer.

"I'm all Steve Harrington right now," I tried to joke.

"That's not what I meant," he sighed as he walked in and closed the door behind him. "You've been distracted lately, Joe. We've all seen it. But when you walked into work today, you were different. Still distracted but in a different way. What's going on?"

I sighed, not able to hide my smile. Then again, I didn't bother to hide it. "There's this girl," I started.

"Really?" David smirked as he leaned against the counter. "Tell me about her."

"I don't know much," I sighed. "I just saw her. It sounds crazy and a little creepy but when I saw her. . . I don't really know how to explain it. I've been struggling lately and yet, just seeing her. . . You think I'm crazy."