The Family Embarrassment-Steve Harrington

"I don't know about this."

"Y/N," Steve sighed as he parked his car in front of my house. "It's just dinner, babe."

"But with my mother. And my father. And my sister," I listed off.

Steve turned towards me and grabbed my hand. With his other hand, he reached up and gently tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"Your parents have been bugging you for weeks about inviting me over for dinner," he whispered. "It's just one meal. An hour. Two at most. We go in there and I turn on the charm. I focus all my energy on flattering your parents, saying all the right things, and playing the part of Y/N's Perfect Boyfriend."

He laughed as he leaned over and kissed my pout. I pulled away and shook my head.

"Steve, I don't know if I can do this," I whispered. "You don't understand my parents. My mother critiques every little thing I do. My father thinks I need to get my head out of the clouds and into a law textbook. And my sister? She's the worst! She will turn everything I say into an insult. She'll make everyone see that I'm nowhere near good enough for you."

"Y/N," he shushed me. "Your sister isn't going to convince me that you're not good enough for me because you are. You are perfect for me."

Steve got out of the car, but I couldn't bring myself to move. I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath as I heard Steve open my door. When I didn't move, he knelt next to me.

"Y/N," he whispered to get me to look at him. "This dinner may not be easy, but we can get through it. Together."

I took another shaky breath as I grabbed Steve's hand that he was holding out for me. He never let his smile falter as he helped me out of his car. He kept my hand in his as we walked up my driveway.

When we got to the door, we stopped. I looked over at Steve to see him already looking at me with his heart-melting smile.

"Together," he whispered.

"Together," I sighed as I opened the front door.

"Mom? Dad? We're here."

"About time," Y/S/N scoffed as she got off the couch. She walked over at us and stopped in front of Steve. She slowly looked him up and down before smirking at me.

"Can I ask you something, Steve?" She asked in a tone of voice that made me want to break down and cry.

"Sure, Y/S/N," Steve said, sending me a reassuring glance.

"What is our old basketball team captain doing with my bookworm sister?"

She stepped closer to him, close enough to kiss him. I looked away embarrassed at the fact that my sister was flirting with my boyfriend right in front of me. And I wasn't doing anything to stop it.

"The correct question is what is your amazing, smart, sweet sister doing with the ex-captain who now has to put on a sailor costume every day and scoop ice cream?"

"I like your uniform," I playfully pouted, making Steve look at me. "It's adorable."

"You are the only person I let call me that," Steve teased. He pulled on my hand, bringing me close to him. He paused, sending a small smirk toward my sister before kissing me.

"Where are you guys?" My mother called from the kitchen. "Y/N, the food is getting cold."

"Coming," I called back. I led Steve into the kitchen, my nerves bouncing around like crazy as my mom turned around.

"Steve," she smiled. She wiped her hands on her apron as she walked over to us. "It's so nice to finally meet the boy who's stolen our little bookworm's heart."