Untitled Part 5

Xiao Hua returned to the small wayside pavilion after getting off work. The people in charge of the servants' dinners were coming around and she took her portion. After eating, she headed towards the small kitchen to fetch hot water, planning to wash herself and sleep.

In the small kitchen, Grandma Wang who was tending the fire smiled upon seeing her. "Xiao Hua lass, done with your shift?"

"That's right Granny Wang."

Grandma Wang handed her a small stool. "Here, come chat with this old lady for a bit."

Xiao Hua put down the washbasin in her hands and sat down beside Grandma Wang.

Grandma Wang stirred the stove embers. "How was work today? Was there anything you weren't used to?"

Xiao Hua quite liked this jovial grandma. Ever since reincarnating, she didn't really have anyone to talk to. The lower maids were either jealous or secretly dismissive of her unorthodox promotion. Even the "good sisters" she was previously close with as a sweeper girl were now estranged, and she also didn't feel like speaking with them. Now, sitting in the warm kitchen next to a kindly old granny, she couldn't help but start speaking more.

"I didn't really have to consider whether or not I was used to things. I merely followed the older sisters, learning how to serve the young master. Otherwise it was quite leisurely. I sat in the tea room in the afternoon, and before I knew it my shift had ended."

Grandma Wang smiled and didn't ask further, instead casually chatting with Xiao Hua about the characters and taboos of the estate's young masters. She also brought up some of her old friends who were competent in their tasks and cleverly performed their roles, catching the master's eye and receiving additional responsibilities. After giving birth to children, they returned to duty and were now all elders in charge of various things.

Xiao Hua listened silently without speaking, but her eyes flashed briefly.

Grandma Wang spoke for a while before remembering Xiao Hua was here for water.

"Look at this old lady, my old mind is wandering. You are here for water but I am chattering the night away."

"It's fine Granny Wang. I'm off work so there's nothing for me to do."

"Enough, enough, I know you're just trying to comfort this old lady. Go wash up and rest, you still have to get up early for work."

Xiao Hua drew the water, washed herself simply and lay down. Bi Yuan had yet to return, though she always returned very late so Xiao Hua was not surprised.

She understood Grandma Wang's words clearly. She was pointing out another path for her to follow.

That's right, having struggled harder than anyone else, the previous her would have never chosen that path.

Her eyes shut and her heart grew calm. The current her only wanted to reach the age where she could be freed from service. What happens after that can be decided later.

***

Just like that, Xiao Hua started her life as a senior maid. Although a senior maid in name, she often times performed the duties assigned to common maids.

She just never refused, was always unflustered, quick with her hands and feet, and never participated in gossip. Most importantly, she never made a move towards the young master.

Gradually, the other three senior maids let down their guards towards her, and even turned a blind eye to her occasional slacking.

The lower maids also got to clearly see Xiao Hua's behavior, and the mockery died down on the surface. They took her for a blockhead with no ambition, but refrained from finding trouble with her. They treated her as an invisible person, only a senior maid in name.