Untitled Part 141

In the evening, right after dinner, there was a knock at the door.

Xiao Hua was the closest so she went to open it. Outside was big fatty's dad, butcher Zhang.

Butcher Zhang was tall, thick and sturdy. But he rather liked cleanliness, and his rough clothes were always clean.

"Miss Tao."

This form of address dazed Xiao Hua a little, but she quickly snapped out of it and said: "Big bro Zhang, what's the matter?"

Butcher Zhang scratched the back of his head and handed over a large piece of pork wrapped in lotus leaves.

"Our household's big fatty is always here eating your food, really sorry for the inconvenience. Please accept this little bit of pork. Count it as our way of saying thanks."

Xiao Hua repeatedly refused, "This won't do. A few meals don't count for much."

Xiao Hua was still aware that the people in the alley were mostly quite poor. Half a kilo of pork was worth over a dozen coins which was several meals for many households.

"Just accept it if I'm offering it. Otherwise you'd be looking down on our family."

In just a few words, Butcher Zhang's old temper became evident. After he spoke, he glanced a little worriedly at Xiao Hua. Only after seeing no signs of dislike on her face did he feel relieved.

"This....."

"Miss Tao, our household sells pork. It's really no big deal. Just treat it as a thank you for taking care of our big fatty."

"In that case, thank you, big bro Zhang."

Xiao Hua accepted the lotus leaf package. Seeing Butcher Zhang remain in place without leaving, she asked: "Big bro Zhang, is there anything else?"

"No, nothing....."

"Then I'll head back inside first." Xiao Hua said politely as she turned and closed the door.

Butcher Zhang who was left outside stood there in a daze for a long while before snapping out of it.

Zhao Da was drinking alcohol inside the house. Zhao San walked in.

"Time to change shifts?"

Zhao San nodded, and sat down across from him. The two brothers drank a few cups and Zhao San said: "Just now there was a man who gifted madam something."

Zhao Da sprayed a mouthful of alcohol out onto the floor, his expression weird and nervous.

"Who has such guts!?"

"Butcher Zhang from the alley." In comparison, Zhao San's expression was rather calm.

"What did he give her?"

"Pork. I heard it's to thank madam for taking care of his kid's meals."

Only now did Zhao Da's breathing return to normal, and he cursed: "You fucking brat, why didn't you speak clearly from the beginning? You made me think some man was having designs on the madam."

The madam calling herself a widow was something Zhao Da was aware of. He had also reported it in detail to the estate. It wasn't clear what sort of expression his highness would have.

Zhao Da temporarily couldn't mind his highness's expression. He could only mind what was in front of his eyes, and properly protect the madam and the little young master and mistress. Of course, this included protecting her from being harassed by men.

"This counts as a normal, neighborly interaction."

Zhao San was a little unfamiliar with the ways of the world. Zhao Da was currently teaching him.