Untitled Part 166

The Yingguo Duke's family wasn't the only one who had such thoughts. There were many others. Similarly, the Jing Duke's Xiao clan also didn't fall behind.

However, the Jing Duke Estate was much more excessive. They called the Chengen Count and his madam over, and directly told them to have the empress convince his majesty to pick another daughter from the Xiao clan as the next empress.

The Chengen madam didn't say anything at the time, but the couple started arguing after going back. The Chengen madam harshly criticized the Xiao clan for not treating her daughter as a human being. She hadn't even died yet and there were people trying to replace her already.

The Chengen madam was after all a woman who married in, and although the Chengen Count now had his title, he was still part of the Xiao clan. Could he go against the main branch's decision? After all, they still needed to rely on the Xiao clan in the future if something truly happened to the empress.

However, the Jing Duke didn't concern himself with such trivial matters. The Chengen Count took several days before finally convincing his wife.

It was still the same Fengqi Palace and still the hall which was dark as night in the middle of the day.

The empress seemed to be just a slight bit more energetic. She had a palace maid support her into a seated position to meet with the Chengen madam.

Sometimes the empress was quite fed up with people like her mom who only knew how to cry. Back when she was married off to the fifth prince her mom had been like this, and now that she didn't have long to live, her mom was still the same way. But since her mom had raised her from birth, she also didn't know how to criticize her.

The Chengen madam cried for a long time before finally stammering what she had been assigned to do.

The empress was stupefied, her gaze deathly still.

After a long, long time, she finally let out a breath and said mockingly: "This seat hasn't died yet but the Xiao clan is already so impatient."

"Qian Qian...."

The empress wanted to curse, but shut her mouth after gasping for breath. After a while, she finally said: "This seat doesn't have enough face in front of his majesty to convince him. You guys should put these thoughts to rest."

"Qian Qian, your mom knows you're upset, but this is also for the good of the clan. Mom knows this is making things difficult for you, but our family still has to comply with the main branch...."

The empress laughed sorrowfully, "You guys overestimate this seat, this empress. Don't they know his majesty doesn't favor me? Don't you know?"

"Qian Qian, since you've been married to his majesty for over ten years, your words should still have some effect."

The empress suddenly shut her eyes, her expression suddenly changing. There was resentment, misery, and despair. After a long, long time, she finally said in a faint, bitter voice: "You guys are overthinking things. There's already someone in line for this seat's position."

"Who?"

"The prime senior concubine." The empress muttered these words soundlessly a few more times, before saying mockingly: "His majesty has waited a long time for me to vacate this position for his beloved woman. You guys shouldn't waste your time...."

.......

It was that prime senior concubine again!

When the Chengen madam came out from the palace, the words she had exchanged with the empress spread rapidly throughout the capital. Many of the ambitious households thought the same thing.