Untitled Part 182

As the years passed with the empress remaining the only favored one, the officials all got used to it.

This clearly didn't conform to convention, but this was the way it was, and after a while, everyone felt this was the way it should be.

Of course, there were a couple of small fries who popped up and mentioned the state of the Jing Emperor's harem, but they were all ignored by him. As time passed, no one brought it up anymore.

Concubine Qiao passed away. It was said she had died of illness, and the event didn't even make a ripple within the rear palace or the court.

But at the same time, in a small southern town far from the capital, an ordinary looking widow moved into an alley along with an old one and a young one.

Their stories continued, but no one knew what would happen to them in the future.....

Xiao Hua didn't expect Concubine Qiao to make such a choice, and also didn't expect the Chengyang Count's family to agree with it. But it was as she said, a woman's happiness didn't come from luxury. Concubine Qiao was a smart one, and she had her own reasons for choosing such a life.

Xiao Hua wished her well.

Arrangements were also made for the Serene and Tranquil Concubines, but they showed no signs of movement. One day, they both suddenly asked for an audience with the empress.

"We've taken empress's consideration to heart, and understand empress's intentions. However, the two of us are different from big sis Concubine Qiao. People like us wouldn't find much happiness to speak of even if we went outside. We might as well continue to muddle about in the palace. Empress wouldn't mind having a couple more mouths to feed, right?"

Xiao Hua fell silent at their words.

However, she respected their decisions. Everyone had their own lifestyle, and she had already done what she wanted to. Her conscience was clear.

"Empress doesn't have to overthink things. In fact, our days are no longer hard after thinking things through...."

Someone with such thoughts shouldn't have a hard life.

***

Days flowed on like a boat rowing with the current, and one year passed after another.

During these years, Luo Zhuo, Yi Yi and Luo Yu all matured. Xiao Hua felt that whenever she blinked, the children would age by a year. On the other hand, her own days with the Jing Emperor were the same as always.

The Jing Emperor was a dull person. He didn't enjoy music, song or dance, didn't enjoy playing go, and in fact didn't really have any hobbies. Every day, he went to the same three places: the court, the imperial study and the Fengqi Palace. The Violet Imperial Hall that belonged to him had been empty for far too long.

Of course, the two of them felt the urge to travel for fun, but were helpless since the Jing Emperor was too busy. Xiao Hua also couldn't bear leaving her still young children behind. They could only put their thoughts to rest.

The days passed like this, calm yet filled with comforting joy.

Only when the Jing Emperor brought up the matter of finding Yi Yi a husband did Xiao Hua realize her daughter was almost of marrying age. As for herself, she seemed to have grown old.

Of course, this was just in her own mind. In the Jing Emperor's eyes, she was just as beautiful, but this wasn't something he was able to vocalize. He wasn't someone who would say such sweet nothings, and would only use actions to represent his thoughts. The only time the Jing Emperor told Xiao Hua she was beautiful was the day she was conferred empress.