Untitled Part 121

It was already dark by the time the Li family arrived.

They had intended to rest for the night before coming the next day, but unfortunately Concubine He couldn't bear to use money on lodgings. She directly pulled someone over to ask for directions and they ended up going straight there.

Only after arriving did Concubine He understand why that person had such a weird expression. The Jing Prince Estate was indeed easy to find. It occupied over half the city, and they would have reached it after walking a little further in.

Before they reached the gates, they were blocked by group of guards. The Li family saw that these soldiers had polished armor and strict discipline, and couldn't help but feel respect. After explaining their reason for coming, one of the officers had them wait for a moment before turning and leaving. The remaining soldiers kept an eye on them.

The three worn carriages looked rather wretched compared to the group of soldiers in resplendent armor.

Concubine He sat inside her carriage, looking out through the half raised curtains. She could vaguely see the towering walls in front of her.

My heavens, this was a prince's estate? Why did it look like a city!?

After some time, the officer returned. With a wave of his hand, the soldiers led the carriages forward to the estate's western gates. After an inspection, the carriages continued forward.

Not only Concubine He was astonished, even Li Xue Bing was extremely astonished. How was this a prince's estate? It clearly seemed like a palace.

It wasn't that Li Xue Bing hadn't paid attention to this nephew of his before. However, due to what happened all those years ago, they had never interacted.

This matter needs to be explained from the beginning. The Li family wasn't some rich household at first. Only Li Xue Bing had passed the civil exam and obtained an unimpressive official's post in a southern county.

That county's magistrate would have a new assistant at most every three years, but Li Xue Bing managed to stay in that position for quite a while. He was also someone with ambition, but ambition needed to be supported by wealth and connections. He had neither, and thus squandered his time away as a ninth ranked official for many years.

That year the selection happened.

Every time news of a selection spread, the commoners would go into a frenzy. The girls who were chosen weren't all fortunate enough to enter the palace as a concubine. Many would become palace maids and servants for people in the palace. It was hard to leave once they were chosen.

Even the commoners would flee at this announcement, but Li Xue Bing actually did the opposite. His thoughts had stirred, and these thoughts were in regards to his younger sister Li Wan Ting.

He used his sister as a gamble to improve his future prospects. At that time Li Xue Bing didn't think this was something shameful. He never considered that if Li Wan Ting wasn't outstanding enough, she would become a palace maid instead of a concubine.

Luckily, Li Wan Ting was indeed a beauty, and was chosen as a concubine and given the title of an attendant.

When he heard the news, Li Xue Bing was wild with joy. He anxiously awaited the benefits his sister would bring him. But one year past after another without any movements. Li Xue Bing was an official in a small county far away from the capital. How could he have any contact with someone in the palace? The brother and sister fell out of touch.

A few more years passed and word suddenly spread of a fifth prince whose mother was an attendant surnamed Li. She ended up being conferred as the venerated concubine. Li Xue Bing only heard about this "rumor" from his superiors after they started treating him extremely well. At that time Li Xue Bing had already given up on his inappropriate thoughts, but a meat pie suddenly fell from the heavens onto his head.