Untitled Part 56

"Does madam want to lean against the kiln for a bit? It's warmer than the chair after all." Ding Xiang's voice interrupted Xiao Hua's thoughts.

Xiao Hua's new house didn't have any heated vents, unlike the Hall of Splendor's which were always burning. However, it did have a heating kiln, and a charcoal basin was also burning, making it a little warmer.

Xiao Hua nodded her head and went over to the west room's window to sit on the kiln.

Ding Xiang was quick with her hands, placing a pillow behind Xiao Hua's back and covering her legs with a thin blanket. She then placed some tea and snacks on the kiln.

Having been taken care of so thoroughly these last two days made Xiao Hua feel as if she were a cripple.

However, she didn't refuse. She had also been served like this in the past as "Concubine Hua". She had two personal common maids at the time.

Xiao Hua also understood that having someone serve her wasn't just living lazily. It also symbolizes her status. Although speaking of status as the lowest titled concubine was a little laughable, it was still the difference between a mistress and a servant. If the mistress didn't need serving, what would the servants be good for?

If you didn't have anyone serving you while others of similar status did, not only would they look down upon you, even the servants would say you are petty and unwilling to be elevated. Those who were unwilling to be elevated would not be respected, and those who weren't respected would continue falling in a vicious cycle. Therefore, although Xiao Hua was not used to it, she didn't raise any objections.

Ding Xiang sat at Xiao Hua's feet, doing needlework with her hands while idly chatting with Xiao Hua.

Ding Xiang was a strange palace maid. Xiao Hua had noticed this herself over the past days.

Her words were few but every one of them had a purpose.

Perhaps Xiao Hua wouldn't understand the meaning behind her words right away, but after listening for a while she knew that she was actually filling her in on some happenings in the estate, and occasionally reminding her of some rules.

Ding Xiang was also extremely competent. She had taken care of all the arrangements for the pavilion the last couple of days. The work was perfectly divided amongst the low-ranked palace maids. Xiao Hua practically didn't have to spend any effort on it.

At the moment, Ding Xiang was speaking about the circumstances of the eastern three pavilions. Although her words seemed unorganized, Xiao Hua found out that the Jing Consort's health wasn't too good. She spent half of her time bed-ridden, so those who went to pay her respects may not necessarily see her each time. However, even Senior Concubine Qiao would go every day. It was a rule after all.

Rule? Xiao Hua understood rules.

Leaning on the warm and cozy kiln, Xiao Hua started feeling sleepy. Seeing her yawn continuously, Ding Xiang fetched a thicker blanket and placed it over her body.

Xiao Hua leaned against the pillow covered by the blanket and fell asleep soon afterwards.

She slept until the middle of the afternoon. When she opened her eyes, Ding Xiang was still sitting there doing needlework. Xiao Hua couldn't help but say, "Ding Xiang, how long have you been doing needlework? It's bad for your eyes if you do it for too long."

Ding Xiang smiled and put the things in her hands down. "Not that long, this servant wants to hurry and make a cloak for madam. In this snowy weather, going to pay respects to the consort without a top layer would be very cold."

Xiao Hua never left the Hall of Splendor in the past and wearing her old clothes inside the house was fine. However, going outside would be very cold. Xiao Hua had noticed Ding Xiang working on the piece of cloth in her hands a while ago, but never realized that she had long since thought of making her a cloak.