Untitled Part 23

Once noon arrived, Su Yan took the low palace maids who were done working back to the sweeper area.

As they were walking along the passageway, Su Yan who was leading the way suddenly spoke quietly: "His highness approaches, everyone kneel." Following which she was the first to kneel down in front.

This was covered in the estate rules. When encountering masters or mistresses inside the estate they had to kneel and keep their heads down without peeking. Especially for those who were common palace servants. They were not qualified to look them in the face.

Ten or so low palace maids hurriedly knelt and lowered their heads. However, there were a few who didn't manage to react, still standing there foolishly.

Xiao Hua lowered her head and didn't know what was going on. But through the corner of her eyes she saw a black pair of dragon engraved boots and the lower hem of a purple colored robe pass in front of her, followed by another pair of black boots.

Only after the people had walked off into the distance did the kneeling servants stand up.

After Su Yan stood up, her expression was furious but she didn't say anything, merely glaring at those low palace maids who stood there foolishly.

This included Xi'er and Qiao Lian. When Xiao Hua knelt down, she had pulled on Xi'er a couple of times. It wasn't clear what kind of daze Xi'er was in that she didn't even feel it.

The silent group made their way back towards the sweeper area. It wasn't clear what Xi'er was thinking about as she walked, her expression flickering constantly. Due to Su Yan's ugly expression, the palace maids who failed to kneel earlier all knew they made a mistake and their hearts were apprehensive.

The moment they returned to the sweeper area, Su Yan made them stand outside while she entered.

Seeing the situation, everyone grew even more uneasy.

The few who forgot to kneel all had ugly expressions. Only now did Xi'er snap out of it. Her eyes reddened, "They wouldn't take away our meal today, right?"

Not being allowed to eat would be letting them off lightly. The real concern was –

As expected, things weren't quite so simple. Auntie Chen, the Auntie of the sweeper area walked out with Su Yan.

Auntie Chen was around forty, with a long narrow face and prominent cheekbones. Her face was strict and she was clothed in a maroon jacket paired with a lilac traditional skirt. She swept the crowd with a sharp gaze the moment she stepped out.

"Those who broke the rules, step forwards."

There was first a spell of silence over the crowd before a single low palace maid stepped out, following which the rest walked out in succession, unable to resist Auntie Chen's pressure.

Xi'er's eyes turned even redder, and glanced anxiously at Xiao Hua and then at Xiu Yun and Qiao Lian. However, she also knew she couldn't hide from it and dragged herself out. Qiao Lian's face had long since turned pale. Seeing everyone else walk out she also followed behind.

No one dared to try and weasel out of it because Su Yan was there at the time. She was certain to have already reported the situation to Auntie Chen.

Auntie Chen laughed coldly, "Very good, looks like you all know you messed up. If you break the rules you must suffer the punishment. That is how our estate operates. For your first offense, you will each be given ten strokes of the plank."

As her voice fell, two sturdy palace maids walked in with a punishment plank that was one and a third zhang long, one chi wide and five cun long. One of them also carried a long bench.