Untitled Part 175

Yang Nuo became the crown prince's classmate and his days grew busy.

The Yang family lived on the capital's outskirts, and he had to take the carriage into the palace before dawn to make it in time for his class with Zhuo'er. He ate lunch at the Chenxi Palace and returned home in the carriage once class was done.

Xiao Hua watched for a few days and felt it was too much work for the child. She called Lin Qing Wan into the palace for a discussion. She proposed letting Yang Nuo live in the palace, which was large and had plenty of space to live in. If that doesn't work, he could live with Zhuo'er in the Chenxi Palace's side hall, where she would take care of him so there was no need to worry. He could return home once every few days. This would make things easier on him.

Although Lin Qing Wan was reluctant, she understood the concubine was being considerate. She went back and discussed it with her brother. To avoid harming her son's future prospects, she agreed in the end.

As for Heng Heng, he was like Yi Yi who loved to play. He could start taking lessons a few years later. When he went into the palace normally, he was just a playmate and didn't need to be reserved.

Yi Yi was also happier with a playmate.

When Heng Heng was in the palace, she would go frolic about with him everywhere. When he wasn't there, she would go pester Zhuo'er and Nuo Nuo to play with her. The few children got along quite well.

Of course, children would occasionally get into arguments. But usually Xiao Hua didn't need to intervene and they would figure things out by themselves. Zhuo'er was a sensible one and Yi Yi also wasn't someone who would abuse her position. Children forgot things quickly. They could be angry one moment and happily playing together again the next.

***

Time passed like flowing water. A major event happened in court that caused great waves.

First was Minister Lin's retirement announcement.

Minister Lin wasn't actually that old, a little over sixty. Normally, he could still remain in his position for several more years. However, he suddenly announced he was retiring.

After his retirement, the left minister's position became vacant. In theory, a new minister needed to be chosen. Those who had the qualifications all felt their hearts stirring, but the Jing Emperor didn't show any signs of planning to choose a new minister.

While this situation was left hanging, the Yun Prince submitted a memorandum that caused another round of waves.

The Yun Prince asked for his vassal state to be stripped.

His explanation was rather absurd, saying there were too many things to deal with in a vassal state, how his taxes couldn't cover his expenses and how he truly couldn't hold on any longer. He begged his majesty to take pity and relieve him of his burden, saying how he wanted to be an idle prince and live a carefree life.

Of course, he also said a few righteous words towards the end of the memorandum. He said that vassal princes with too much authority wasn't good for the peace of the nation, and would be harmful to the dynasty with the Luo surname. For the sake of the Grand Xi, for the sake of the Luo royal family, he chose to sacrifice himself for everyone's benefit.

This stone caused countless of ripples, and stunned all the officials and nobles.

The Jing Emperor had someone read this inappropriate memorandum out loud in court, and asked all the officials for their opinions.

The officials looked at each other and no one dared to make a sound.

Having had several exchanges with the Jing Emperor, they all knew he was no pushover. Although he spoke little and remained silent most of the time, he never slacked in his duties. Unconsciously, many officials' opinions were changed, and they inexplicably felt a sense of natural respect.