Untitled Part 95

Xiao Fu Zi's backstory.

"Stubborn donkey, your dad's calling you for dinner."......

"Stubborn donkey, the bastard from the village over hit me. Help me beat him up."......

Back then, they were still young. They were from the same village, and were even neighbors. The two seven, eight year old kids always played together. After their village flooded, they had been separated.

The next time they saw each other was many years later. He was the eunuch Xiao Fu Zi and she had become palace maid Aunt Xiu. Although she had changed a lot in appearance, he was able to recognize her at a glance. He himself had also changed, but she also recognized him right away, and even called out "stubborn donkey".

Stubborn donkey was his nickname.

Afterwards he found out that she had gotten separated from her family and ended up in the palace after various twists and turns. As for him, his family truly couldn't last any longer and were all about to starve to death. His father heard that eunuchs could eat their fill within the palace, and could also be exchanged for several silver taels, and thus sent him over.

They had both tempered themselves within the palace for several years already, and were no longer the two innocent children from before. He was the low-ranked eunuch who had clung onto the legs of the main hall's eunuch. She was the low-ranked palace maid doing odd jobs in the needlework department.

.....

For the sake for self-preservation, or perhaps so that the two could stay together and cover each other, they used various methods and connections to be assigned to Attendant Li together.

Many people couldn't understand why Xiao Fu Zi, who had successfully gotten a high-ranking adoptive father and was full of potential, would choose to let himself go to waste by an unfavored attendant's side.

No one knew what Xiao Fu Zi was thinking.

.....

Life at Attendant Li's side was very peaceful. Although it unavoidably invited disdain, it was better since there were no struggles, and there was no risk of suddenly losing one's life. Xiao Fu Zi was extremely satisfied.

......

Then Attendant Li got pregnant.

At first, Xiao Fu Zi had actually been very annoyed. He was sure he would get caught up in things again, and it seemed like he couldn't avoid it no matter where he hid. But Attendant Li unexpectedly chose to give birth in secret.

The fifth prince was thus born.

Xiao Fu Zi had thought his peaceful days were done.

However, Attendant Li still chose to continue hiding.

Sometimes Xiao Fu Zi would secretly rejoice. Having been able to spend several years in peace, he truly wasn't interested in being attacked from all sides. But looking at the little baby who was shut in the dark room and had never seen the light of day, he would feel a sort of heartache.

The only other time he had felt this sort of heartache was when he witnessed her get slapped by a high-ranked palace maid.

That event was also what had made him decide to remove himself from those struggles. He had thought about secretly causing that palace maid's death, but for her sake, and for the sake of their future, he decided to retract his claws.

Attendant Li seemed to have become a little vacant, and the responsibility of caring for the baby had fallen upon the two of them. Although they only saw him briefly every day, affection seemed to have sprouted during these moments.