Untitled Part 162

The empress was ill with what was said to be corpse affliction.

Don't know what corpse affliction is? Heard of tuberculosis? It's precisely that contagious disease. It starts with a cough the leads to coughing up blood. Once blood is coughed up it's too late.

Tuberculosis was counted as an incurable disease in the Grand Xi. It can't be cured and one can only carefully recuperate. If the symptoms get slightly worse, it would result in death.

Many medical books annotate tuberculosis as "infection of the lungs, bugs that damages the lungs....the bugs cause lung disease.', 'The bugs can be killed, and although this kills the patient it prevents the virus from spreading'. The current medical understanding of tuberculosis was a lung bug. This sort of bug was very infectious, and there were many medical records where the patient infects their entire family, killing them all.

Therefore, normally when doctors diagnosed someone with this sort of illness, that person would be quarantined. Of course, this illness definitely wasn't as frightening as smallpox or leprosy. This was because it had a long incubation period, but it was still extremely infectious. After the infected person passed away, they couldn't be buried and could only be cremated.

After the imperial physicians diagnosed it as tuberculosis, they sealed the Fengqi Palace that same day.

This news was transmitted to the Jing Duke's Estate, where the people inside became dazed on the spot. There was no need to mention the empress's parents who had been elevated as the Chengen Count.

The Chengen Count's madam wanted to go see her daughter in the palace. The Chengen Count had been prepared to let her go, and had even got the carriage ready, but pulled her back in the end.

"What are you doing? I want to go see our daughter!" The Chengen Count's madam was emotional and waved off the Chengen Count's hand.

"Let's think this through carefully, don't be impulsive."

"Think what through. Our daughter is ill. As her mother, can't I even go check on her?"

"You can certainly go no problem. But afterwards, are you still able to come back? Don't you know this illness is contagious?! Don't tell me you want to get everyone involved?!"

The Chengen Count's madam gritted her teeth as she turned around and pounded at her husband, "As her father, you're still going to avoid our daughter? Don't forget where your Chengen Count's title came from! Without your daughter, you are nothing....it's all your Xiao clan's fault, this was all caused by them. They forced my daughter to marry the fifth prince. If she had married my nephew back then, my daughter's life wouldn't be so bitter....."

The Chengen Count wretchedly shielded himself, and waved her off with his hand after finally enduring enough.

"What do you mean by "your Xiao clan"? Aren't you the Xiao clan's daughter-in-law? Aren't your son and daughter surnamed Xiao? What's the use of bringing this up!?"

The Chengen Count's madam fell to the side and cried inconsolably.

"Oh, my poor daughter....my Qian Qian...."

"As her father, it's also hard to see our daughter like this. Stay calm first, I'll go ask the clan to see what we can do. Or I'll go ask an imperial physician to see how to avoid being quarantined after visiting. All this needs to be arranged. Also finding a highly skilled doctor for our daughter is necessary....."

"Sure, sure, sure. Then hurry and go." The Chengen Count's madam wiped her tears and said as though seizing onto a lifeline.

***