Untitled Part 102

The imperial palace.

Within Senior Concubine Xu's Chunluan Palace.

Whenever Senior Concubine Xu was mentioned, everyone's first impression was that she had never fallen out of favor. For a woman that was over forty, being able to be favored by his highness for decades was something everyone had to smack their lips over and praise.

But actually Senior Concubine Xu wasn't very beautiful. At least, there were many imperial concubines within the palace that was better looking than her. But she was able to occupy his majesty for his favor. One couldn't help but be impressed by this.

She used to be the daughter of a small common household, and was one day chosen to be placed by the monarch's side. Her road from an attendant to the most favored concubine within the six palaces wasn't just due to her face and her schemes, but also because she had caught the emperor's eye.

While others couldn't get used to Senior Concubine Xu's daily tearstained appearance despite her age, his majesty was very taken in by this act.

Senior Concubine Xu was oval-faced and had willow leaf shaped eyebrows. Her eyes contained amorous feelings and her appearance seemed too frail to withstand the wind. Her physique was slender like a weak willow against the wind. Her face and body were extremely well maintained for a woman over forty. Especially when she cried like teardrops on a pear blossom, her appearance really made one's heartache.

"Majesty, this concubine really misses Jin'er a lot. Just summon him back so this concubine can see him."

Senior Concubine Xu had been weeping for a long time, both crying and acting pampered. This ended up grinding down the originally insistent Emperor Xi's resolve. His face even some hints of sympathy.

"Alright, don't cry anymore. We will find a day to summon him back to the capital."

"Really?"

Senior Concubine Xu's face was full of joy. Her face was tearstained, but it had to be said this half smiling half crying appearance suited her quite well, adding some moving freshness and charm.

"Would We speak falsely?" Emperor Xi acted angry.

Senior Concubine Xu laughed between her sobs and cuddled up to him, "This concubine naturally trusts your majesty. Your majesty's words are golden."

After obtaining the outcome she wanted, Senior Concubine Xu flattered him for a while. Emperor Xi looked at the sky outside: "Alright, it's getting late. We have to go sit at the Fengqi Palace for a while. Imperial Physician Xu said the empress's royal body is slightly unwell."

"Respectfully seeing your majesty off."

Only after Emperor Xi left did Senior Concubine reveal the indignation on her face.

It's the empress again. That old woman still won't die off after struggling with her for several decades. She would often use the excuse that her royal body was slightly unwell to coax his majesty over to her!

The key was that she couldn't expose the empress's false appearance because what his majesty hated most was the jealous bickering between women. He could favor you however he wanted, but you couldn't smear "other people's" name in front of him.

This "other people" referred to the current empress Xiao-Shi.

Empress Xiao-Shi was born within the Jing County's Governmental Estate, and was Emperor Xi's first partner. She went from the crown prince's concubine all the way to empress. If Senior Concubine Xu was said to be favored for several decades, Xiao-Shi had been favored for an even longer period of time. She and the current emperor were married at a young age, and their affections ran deep.