Untitled Part 169

The judicial hall was unusually silent.

Because there hadn't been many opportunities to rest these past two days, some low-ranked officials served tea to the people seated.

Around the time to brew two pots of tea later, the eunuch sent to the palace returned. With him was someone who appeared to be a palace maid.

He whispered a few words to Eunuch Fu, whose brows knitted and relaxed repeatedly. This made the Xiao clan's eldest madam nervous from watching.

After he was done speaking, that eunuch retreated to the side.

The supreme justice asked: "Eunuch Fu, so—-"

Eunuch Fu stood up and cupped his hands at the three seated superiors before saying with an awkward expression: "Heh Heh, this one has misunderstood his majesty's intentions. His majesty said that since we're here to clear the senior concubine's name, things should be thoroughly investigated."

After speaking, he glanced at the eldest madam and happened to see her astonished expression. He smiled brightly and spoke once again to those in the main seats: "This is the senior concubine's personal palace maid. Since it isn't convenient for the concubine to appear, she had this palace maid come in her stead. The senior concubine has told her everything that happened back then, so she can confirm or object to things as necessary."

The supreme justice clasped his hands and bowed, saying: "The senior concubine is wise."

Seeing his majesty's attitude and the senior concubine's actions, he already felt relieved. The other two superiors also exchanged looks of understanding.

In comparison, the Xiao clan's eldest madam revealed the first hint of restlessness since entering the hall.

Eunuch Fu smiled evilly at the eldest madam, "Since this is the case, the eldest madam should take her leave."

The supreme justice nodded his head in agreement and had his subordinate invite her out. Under Eunuch Fu's suggestion, he had someone bring in a screen to conceal that palace maid.

Next, the hearing continued. The one brought forward was the source of this mess: Tian-Shi.

Tian-Shi had already been confined for several days in the judicial hall, though it was merely a normal room and not a prison cell. She didn't know what had happened outside, and being called forward by herself once again, she naturally felt some pressure. When she appeared, she clearly looked more haggard than she did the day before.

The supreme justice began his routine questioning, and Tian-Shi repeated what she had said before. A scribe on the side was quickly recording down her words. These notes would be kept for his majesty to reference in the future.

When the supreme justice questioned a little deeper with an awkward expression, Tian-Shi found it hard to keep her calm. Her pale face showed a trace of panic.

Although she quickly suppressed this emotion, she wasn't aware that the three seated above had clearly seen it.

The three people immediately felt at ease. This was the first time they completely relaxed.

Tian-Shi was naturally not a fool. She clearly understood the point of the questioning. To put it plainly, she was extremely clear whether the senior concubine had done anything immoral back then. She was also extremely clear what the rumors had turned into outside.

Plausible sounding rumors only worked as long as they sounded plausible enough to obscure the facts. If no one investigated, then they were as good as confirmed. But if one were to investigate, they wouldn't stand up to scrutiny.