Untitled Part 74

The Jing Prince was left by himself in the spacious hall.

His expression was inexplicably dark and gloomy as he sat.

Xiao-Shi hadn't changed in both lifetimes. She still used such foolish, ignorant and vulgar schemes!

In his past life, the Jing Prince actually wasn't as removed from the rear court as he was in this life. Due to the need for an heir, he couldn't avoid spending the night with his concubines despite his apathy for feminine charms.

Three women could still put on a performance together, but with four women there was no way to avoid disputes. Unlike in this life, the Jing Prince had spent the night with Yu Jiao and Yu Rong in his past life.

Back then, the Jing Prince Estate's internal affairs had been given to the Jing Consort to handle. The Jing Consort had fawned upon him slightly with the intention of seeking forgiveness, and since she was his wife, he decided to reestablish their relationship. The Jing Consort appeared magnanimous, dignified and amicable normally, and her handling of internal affairs also distinguished clearly between reward and punishment.

Everything appeared to be peaceful and harmonious.....

The Jing Prince's heir had been born frail, and afterwards he lost two more sons. One from the Jing Consort and one from Senior Concubine Qiao. He was left with only one son and two daughters. As for Yu Jiao and Yu Rong, they had miscarried once early on and showed no more signs of development afterwards.

At that time the Jing Prince's thoughts had been simple, and was also weary from dealing with changes in the capital. As a man to begin with, how could he concern himself with internal affairs? Rich households always had the convention that the rear court was managed by the main mistress. The Jing Prince didn't plan on being an exception.

After the events occurred, he had merely comforted the various people, and didn't think to investigate the cause.

The days continued to pass until right before his death.

The Jin Emperor had bestowed upon him poisoned wine. Eunuch Fu had desperately tried to shield him but was dragged off by others.

He knew Eunuch Fu would definitely be put to death, and those old fellows who had been with him since the very beginning would also not have any good outcomes. He sat in the abandoned Hall of Splendor with a cup of poisoned wine in front of him....

Xiao-Shi came to send him off, and spoke a few words.

".....You spent your entire life muddling along at a loss, without any accomplishments, without any ambition. You were essentially a spineless coward. You wanted peace and tranquility, but is this a peaceful world? You didn't struggle and didn't fight for things, yet this is the outcome...."

Xiao-Shi's face was eerily twisted. This woman who was supposedly his wife was suddenly extremely unfamiliar.

Luo Jing always thought he hated such contempt and disregard. In the past when he encountered this, he always felt uncomfortable despite not showing anything on the surface. Having converted to Buddhism recently, he had found inner peace. However, looking at the twisted face of the woman before him, his actually felt it was preposterous.

".......Qiao-Shi had my son killed, and in return I had hers killed. The other two fools didn't even give birth to a child.....the peaceful rear court in your mind was merely an illusion. It was all an illusion created by others.....how could there be no struggles? To not struggle is to be swallowed up. It wasn't a situation where everyone could coexist to begin with....."

Luo Jing felt extreme pain in his heart. He had thought he should appear shocked, should have suffered a huge blow, should have....but at that moment he was scarily calm. Although his heart felt like it was cut by a knife, his appearance was as like hardened cement, unable to even reveal the slightest sorrow....