Untitled Part 159

As the Jing Emperor singlehandedly faced off against the officials, Xiao Hua had also started moving.

Her movements were very strange. She had never taken a step towards the Fengqi Palace before, but now she suddenly said she wanted to go pay respects to the empress.

After eating breakfast, she left the sleeping Yi Yi to Ding Xiang and headed majestically to the Fengqi Palace in her palanquin with her procession.

Xiao Hua's palanquin was rarely used because she almost never left the Chenxi Palace. It was similar to how she was in the Jing Prince Estate's western pavilion.

This was her sort of yielding, but unfortunately the empress didn't understand. She just had to provoke a lioness who was protective of her cubs.

When she arrived, she got off her palanquin and happened to run into Virtuous Concubine Qiao who was also there to pay respects.

"Little sis virtuous concubine, what a coincidence. Let's go together."

Looking at the smiling prime senior concubine whose attitude had changed completely, Virtuous Concubine Qiao was extremely astonished. She let out an uneasy smile and followed behind Xiao Hua as they entered the Fengqi Palace.

Ever since the empress became the empress, she really enjoyed having the palace's concubines come pay her respects. Although there were only these two or three kittens, she would always show up for it unless she truly couldn't get up.

Seeing the prime senior concubine make a rare appearance today, the empress was very astonished.

Xiao Hua adhered to palace etiquette. She bent her knees in salute, and without waiting for the empress to call her to rise, she went and sat in the first seat on the left.

After everyone finished their salutes, she smiled and said: "This servant concubine was impolite for not being able to come pay respects all this time. But it couldn't be helped. You also know this servant concubine happened to give birth around this time and then had to recover after. When I finally recovered, the eldest princess got ill, so there still wasn't any opportunity. Now that the eldest princess has gotten a little better, this servant concubine is here to atone."

The empress gave a dignified smile. She couldn't figure out what this prime senior concubine was here for.

Xiao Hua's following words immediately let these women understand what she was here for.

"His majesty had said this servant concubine doesn't need to come, but this servant concubine wanted to. The empress is after all the empress. This lower ranked person still needs to follow the rules and play my part. I can't just let his majesty's favor make me forget about everything, otherwise what would be the point of appointing an empress? Wouldn't you say so, empress?"

As the saying goes: tone is important in speech and words are important in literature. The Grand Xi's culture was broad and profound. There were many words that seem to mean one thing, yet could mean another depending on the tone it was spoken with.

If one only considered the senior concubine's words on the surface, they were naturally extremely respectful. They fully played the part of someone lower in status and was fully considerate of the empress. But this was no longer the meaning once her tone was factored in. She was clearly bragging.

That's right, she was here to show off.

The empress's dignified expression immediately cracked. She wanted to glare at this prime senior concubine who was domineering, ostentatious and didn't know how to speak properly, but also felt that it would be a loss of face as the empress. After all, ever since she became the empress she had always paid attention to her status. She could only cover it up with a handkerchief and let out a light cough.