Untitled Part 170

The slander case against the senior concubine had finally been wrapped up. Although the details were not announced to the public, the Jing Emperor's string of edicts that followed made the situation clear.

Out of the three estates which were involved, the Jinyang Estate was declared the originator. For slandering the senior concubine and infringing upon the dignity of the royal family, the Jinyang madam was ordered to commit suicide and the Jinyang Marquis was stripped of his noble title. The servants who committed egregious perjury were beheaded, and those who were accessories to the crime were sent to the border as slave labor. The Chengyang madam was guilty of spreading rumors and sentenced to writing a hundred copies of scripture. Due to her mother's mistakes, the virtuous concubine was also implicated for failing to keep her in check. She was stripped of her virtuous concubine title and demoted to common concubine. The Xiao clan's eldest madam was guilty of immoral conduct and offending her superiors. She should have been ordered to commit suicide, but avoided it due to her husband's contributions to the nation. Instead, the clan was punished for her conduct. They were stripped of all official positions and confined in their estate to ponder over their mistakes.

Thus, everything was wrapped up.

Of course, some curious people tried asking those in the know about it, but they were all tight-lipped. Even the punished estates showed no objections at the Jing Emperor's edicts.

At this point, everyone understood that the prime senior concubine had truly been slandered!

There were still a few who wanted to take the opportunity to speak up, but were rebuked by the three joint departments.

This case had been handled by the three of them in what they felt was a fair manner. They naturally couldn't tolerate any doubt. If they allowed it to continue, schemers would take the opportunity to make a fuss, accusing the three of them of protecting the senior concubine out of fear of the emperor.

Of course, the details of the hearing were spread afterwards, and many people found out about the process. This included how Tian-Shi clung on to her claims to the bitter end, but was refuted by an old servant within her estate. Even the Xiao clan's eldest madam had ended up being overturned, and made a big fuss in court after the case was over.

Serves them right! No wonder the Jinyang Estate was punished so heavily, and the Xiao clan's eldest madam ended up losing her husband's official position. Turns out it was their own doing! Those who knew the situation all come to this conclusion.

But of course, this was all beside the point.

.....

Within the Chenxi Palace.

Chun Cao was recounting to Xiao Hua, Ding Lan and Ding Xiang how she rebuked the Jinyang Madam for her shamelessness and falsehood in court.

".....concubine, you have no idea how ugly Tian-Shi's expression was when she saw Granny Wang. It was like her dad had passed away....that Granny Wang's final few words not only dazed the justices, it almost made this servant burst out laughing. Luckily this servant was behind the screen, so no one saw me smothering my laughter...."

Ding Xiang said with a smile: "Enough, enough. You've been saying the same things for so many days. Our concubine is getting tired of it even if you aren't."

Chun Cao blinked her eyes and looked a little aggrieved, "Concubine, are you getting tired of it?"

Xiao Hua laughed in spite of herself, "I'm not, I'm not. Alright, go see if the second prince is awake. If he is, have the wet nurse bring him over."

After Chun Cao left, the three in the room looked at each other and laughed.

Ding Lan said: "This Chun Cao is getting more and more fussy. Didn't realize back then that she had a "mother-in-law's mouth".