Untitled Part 16

Xiao Hua couldn't be said to be a child of good fortune. In fact, one could say her life has been rather miserable.

She was sold at five years old by her dad for a few pieces of silver to an old merchant master's household.

The steward in the estate saw that she was still young, thin and small, so arranged for her to work in the kitchen stoking the fire. If it weren't for the fact that she had to work at such a young age, that rich merchant's household was pretty decent. She never went hungry and she never got beaten. Since kids in poor families had to help with work at an early age, she actually didn't think much about it.

Unfortunately the merchant decided to relocate his household, and having only worked for three years tending the fire she was sold off once again.

She was bought and sold in succession through three households, but these ones weren't as nice as her first master's. Beatings and starvation was a common occurrence....these households' harshness and criticisms let the young Xiao Hua realize that not all households could be as lenient as her first one. She had even ran away once after being unable to endure, but a child who wasn't yet ten on the outside streets had nowhere to go. No food, no water, and no shelter. She could only become a beggar on the streets. She even came close to being kidnapped and sold off to the brothel, and was thoroughly frightened. She found her way back to her broker and after suffering a round of beatings was sold once again.

The Jinyang Marquis Estate had been her 5th household in her previous life.

She had felt it was like a paradise upon arriving. Everything was magnificent and well designed. All the maids were as pretty as flowers, and all the madams, young mistresses and young masters were aloof and removed, as though they were gods.

Life in the Jinyang Marquis Estate was also great. As a maid she got nice clothing, good food and even a salary every month. Although she would still get scolded by the head maid when her work wasn't done well, there was very little beatings and also no starvation.

At that time, as a common sweeper girl in the estate, Xiao Hua's standards for happiness was really very low. She had even thought that she'd be willing to stay as a sweeper maid forever.

But people always change. Especially when you place someone who was starved in front of a feast of delicacies. Her eating habits were often very unpleasant to look at, and she would also eat very urgently.

People aren't easily satisfied. A farmer who acquired one acre of farmland would dream of having two acres. Once he had two acres, he wanted ten. After becoming a landowner he would think becoming a government official would be better. After becoming an official he would want a higher ranking position....

Xiao Hua was like this in her past life too.

At first she thought being a sweeper girl was already pretty good, very satisfying and very happy. But she slowly, slowly watched as those senior maids in the estates walked around with reputations not much worse off than their masters. There were also those who used to be maids, but caught their master's eye and became concubines. Once you became a concubine your life was set. You could wear golden threads and have a maid to serve you. If you were lucky enough to give birth, even if you lost favor in the future you would still have something to depend on.

As a maid, becoming a concubine was the ultimate dream.

Xiao Hua's thoughts had gradually started to change.

Life in the estate was always pretty good, and having been raised there for over a year, Xiao Hua also transformed from the pitiful little thing who was just skin and bones into a budding flower.