Untitled Part 158

The empress soon received the news after the event.

She paced back and forth neurotically in the hall, her hand tugging at her handkerchief.

"......how dare she, how dare she?.....why wouldn't she dare, she has someone supporting her...."

Seeing the empress muttering to herself this entire time, Nana Zhao couldn't endure any longer and spoke.

"Empress, you have to be steady now. The royal concubine has already erased all the traces. They don't have any proof."

".....why do you indulge her so? Why? Why?"

"Empress!" Nana Zhao called loudly and finally woke up the empress who was lost in her own world.

"Empress you shouldn't be thinking about these things at the moment. Because of this event, the royal concubine lost a large amount of her people before finally covering everything up. They won't be able to trace it back. You must remain calm and not reveal anything. Otherwise, everything would be ruined!"

"Is it really covered up?"

The empress was a little on edge. This event had truly given her a fright. Just from the report, she could imagine the scene. Several tens of people had been beaten to death just like that. It was said the ground in front of the justice department had been covered in blood, and still hadn't been cleaned up yet.

"Yes, empress definitely won't be implicated in this." Nana Zhao's expression was patient as she spoke one word at a time.

"That's good, that's good....." After muttering for a while, the empress started coughing. Once she started, she wasn't able to stop until her face was red and she was out of breath.

A palace maid brought over some medicinal pellets and helped the empress swallow them. She then brought some water over to soothe her breathing. The empress finally recovered. Cai Lian took the handkerchief in the empress's hands and gave her a new one. The old handkerchief was stained with blood.

Cai Lian was worried in her heart. The empress had been coughing up blood more and more frequently. How could this continue? Unfortunately, her words weren't of any use. The imperial physicians were also helpless regarding this matter, and could only tell the empress to remain calm.

Remain calm? It was already good if the empress could remain calm for a single day. That side was clearly favored and she still insisted on having people report to her about the movements over there. Wasn't this just making things hard on herself!?

After clearing up the copper basin and the other things, Cai Lian took the bloodstained handkerchief and prepared to have it burned.

"Big sis Cai Lian, what are you up to?"

She hadn't expected to run into someone and she wasn't able to hide the handkerchief in her hand. Cai Lian could only say: "This handkerchief got dirtied so I'm going to go wash it."

That low-ranked palace maid leaned in intimately. She smiled and said: "Such a small thing doesn't require you to do personally. I'll help you wash it. Hey, why is there blood?"

Cai Lian's face turned rigid, "I accidentally cut my hand and used it to wrap it up."

"Big sis Cai Lian, are you ok? Should I help you apply some medicine?" The low-ranked palace maid appeared worried.

"No need, no need. It's just a scratch and it's no longer bleeding."

"En." The low-ranked palace maid's face bloomed in a smile. She took the handkerchief and left while saying: "I'll send it back to big sis once it's cleaned."