Untitled Part 10

Often times Xiao Hua was unwilling to recall her death in her previous life since it was a memory that was both laughable and terrifying. She had caused her own death.

When she found out someone had slipped her an infertility pill, she instantly lost her mind. Without questioning or investigating, she had slipped every woman within the 4th young master's pavilion the infertility pill. She had known she was done for. A concubine who already intimately serviced someone but was unable to have children had no future...

Xiao Hua had analyzed her attitude at that time multiple times. She felt that it wasn't just because she knew she was finished that she would make such a crazy move. It was because she was tired. Tired of the kind of life where you have to start contending with people as soon as you opened your eyes in the morning.

Before she could complete her plan, she was caught red-handed by Qiao-Shi. With both witnesses and material evidence, the only thing left to her was to await death. The 4th young master had tried to prevent it, but unfortunately Qiao-Shi had escalated the situation to the previous estate madam. The order came down right away to have her beaten to death.

She still couldn't forget the initial feeling of being beaten to death. The bone penetrating pain, the feeling of being beaten into pulp inch by inch, the feeling of organs being shattered into pieces...

Only at the moment of death did she truly understand that she had been a dancing clown from the beginning until the end. It wasn't that people wouldn't deal with you, they just hadn't found the right opportunity. As soon as the time was right, having her beaten to death was a matter of minutes, without even the need to compensate anyone for her life.

How could it be forgotten? A concubine, despite having a higher status than others, was ultimately still a servant. Having signed the life and death agreement, if the master's household wants you dragged out and beaten to death that's exactly what happens.

Xiao Hua tightened her robes, and slowly made her way to the small wayside pavilion. As she passed the small kitchen, Grandma Wang called her from inside.

She brought out a bowl of rice from the corner and shoved it at her, "Haven't eaten yet right? I noticed you hadn't left your shift yet all this time, and also heard them say it's gotten really chaotic over there. I left you some food."

Xiao Hua suddenly felt the chill in her bones dissipate and smiled, "Thank you, Granny Wang."

Grandma Wang said gruffly: "No need for thanks, hurry and eat. I kept it warm for you all this time."

Xiao Hua sat on her stool and explained the situation from start to finish while eating.

Grandma Wang sighed, "Obtaining riches and status is a matter of fate. As a servant, if the master wants you slapped you get slapped. You wouldn't be able to resist even if you were beaten to death. Luckily you've got a good head on your shoulders and didn't get caught up in this mess."

She continued slowly: "I've worked in this estate for several decades, and watched countless concubines vanish. Making them vanish like that, it's a pretty good move..." She pointed upwards at the heavens, "Looks like those that are able to remain to this day are unavoidably all honest people. The dishonest ones have long since disappeared to who knows where."

While Xiao Hua understood who Grandma Wang was referring to, she couldn't help but shiver. In her previous life, she had never paid attention to the estate's affairs. The Jinxiu Pavilion was already enough to keep her occupied. Unexpectedly, it was this filthy everywhere.

Grandma Wang saw her fear and consoled her: "Not getting mixed up in it was the right thing to do. The amount of dirty secrets in such a large residence is overwhelming. Just do your job properly and wait to be released. It's a shame though. Such a beautiful and spritely little lass, it's really a shame..."