Untitled Part 19

Seeing Qing Wan give up on her idea of escaping, Xiao Hua was a little at a loss. She didn't know whether she did the right thing.

Perhaps escaping was a good idea?

She didn't know, and her heart told her that if she wanted to avoid disaster she should stay put.

Qing Wan's mind also seemed to be settled, and she obediently stayed put without any further thoughts of escape. She ate as expected, drank as expected and remained sullen as expected. It seemed as if having spent the past few days in the hands of the traffickers, she started to realize how to act in order to have a more comfortable stay.

Yet the standard of living remained extremely poor. In order maintain the speed, the trafficker provided very little food. They received a single piece of flatbread a day and two sips of water, keeping them in a state where they barely wouldn't die of thirst and starvation.

The people in the carriage gradually grew thinner, especially Xiao Hua. Her originally skinny body now showed signs of emaciation. Yet the weaker her body grew, the brighter her eyes became.

Lin Qing Wan felt that the skinny little girl before her eyes had a quality about her that astonished the heart.

The air in the carriage was unpleasant to breathe, a mixture of sweat and filth.

Qing Wan and Xiao Hua were huddled in the innermost corner of the carriage, both relaxing with their eyes closed as they conserved their energy. Sometimes, they would go the entire day without speaking more than a single sentence, mostly just communicating with their eyes. It wasn't that they didn't want to talk, but rather their mouths had grown drier the further along they went. The water provided was far too little, and everyone's lips had crusted over, cracking as soon as they were opened.

Yu Zi Man curled up in a corner of the carriage and looked at the incredible scene before her, often unable to remain calm.

Although she had transmigrated, she ended up in such a place. What was even more awkward was the she had transmigrated into the body of a wealthy young mistress, but due to the resentment of her younger stepsister, she was sold outside the capital to traffickers. When she awoke, she was already on Trafficker Qian's carriage heading from the capital towards the north, surrounded by dull and lifeless slaves.

She was a girl from the 21st century, but ended up in such a place.

After experiencing many hardships, Yu Zi Man, now called Qing Wan, had decided to give up on escape. What that Xiao Hua had said was right. Such a feudal society had nowhere for a single woman wanderer to escape to. She would end up begging on the streets or kidnapped and sold to a brothel.

She wasn't able to return to her new body's home either.

It had to be said that "her" younger sister's scheme was rather vicious. As the young mistress of a wealthy family, even if it was a commoner family, going missing and turning up again would be an enormous stain on her reputation and dignity. She would end up "suddenly falling ill and passing away" if she returned home. Especially since the principal wife, her stepmother, had never liked her, and "she" had always been invisible to her father. If she really spent countless efforts to stupidly show up again, her stepmother would undoubtedly be happy to see such a situation.

But in such a foreign world, even with the memories of her original host, how was she to survive? The original host was also someone who never left her house. The one time she was tricked by her stepsister into leaving the house to offer incense, she was knocked unconscious and thrown to the traffickers.

The only thing worth rejoicing over was that the trafficker didn't seem like she was selling her off to some filthy place but rather as a servant or, as she had heard while losing her consciousness, as a bride to some peasant.