Untitled Part 171

The next day, the Jing Emperor made an announcement.

The gist of it was that due to the matter of the empress, many issues had popped up in the last few days. It had even implicated Our senior concubine, and made her suffer without reason. Although the empress had contracted this foul ailment, she is still Our principal wife. She was conferred as the Jing Consort by the former emperor, and it hasn't been a full year since his passing yet. Since the empress was seriously ill, for the sake of showing his father gratitude, and for the sake of their marital relationship, he would temporarily not consider stripping her position.

None of the officials had any objections. Even the former emperor had been brought up as well as their marital relationship. Could they force the emperor to disregard his father and his old relationship, and make him out to be a fickle and unrighteous person?

After court was over, the news was transmitted to the Fengqi Palace.

The empress didn't reveal anything in front of the messenger. Only after the person left did she reveal a mocking expression.

"Hypocrite! Clearly using this seat as an excuse to give himself more time, but still making himself sound righteous. Luo Jing, when did you learn to act hypocritically? ......heh.....however, this seat won't refuse....."

Others may not realize it but the empress was very clear that after his announcement, the Jing Emperor would definitely not strip her position until she was at death's door.

Was he so certain she would only last a couple of years?

In that case, she must do her best to live on as an annoyance....

"......this adulterer wants to go over this seat's head and live as a married couple with her? This seat is best at making others suffer...."

Cai Lian stood by her side, and was scared stiff by her mutterings.

Ever since the empress got sick, her thoughts weren't quite normal anymore. The messenger had clearly said that for the sake of their marital relationship, his majesty didn't want the empress to worry about her position being stripped and that she could recuperate in peace. How did things become so twisted once they passed through her mouth?

"Cai Lian, go fetch this seat my medicine."

The empress's words interrupted Cai Lian's disordered thoughts. Hearing that the empress wanted to drink medicine, she felt astonished.

Ever since the empress had been diagnosed with tuberculosis, she had stopped taking her medicine, and appeared to be waiting to die. Now, she actually took the initiative to take her medicine.

This probably had something to do with wanting to annoy others. Thinking of such nonsense, Cai Lian hurriedly went to fetch the medicine.

***

The end of the year soon approached. The Jing Emperor sent out an edict ahead of time summoning the Yun Prince and Qi Prince back to the capital to spend the New Year.

After the Qi Prince lost his arm in the rebellion, the former emperor didn't continue looking into it. He merely restricted him to the Qi Province's Qi Prince Estate. After the Jing Emperor ascended, he didn't change anything.

The Yun Prince and his wife arrived on the 25th. After meeting with the Jing Emperor in the palace, they took up residence in the Yun Prince Estate within the capital. The Qi Prince arrived a night later, and did the same.

On the 26th, the Jing Emperor sealed his brush. The meaning behind this was to declare an end to official business for the remainder of the year. On the fifth day of the New Year, the brush would be unsealed once more and business would resume. Ever since he entered the capital, the Jing Emperor had always been busy. This could count as a rare break.