Untitled Part 7

Within the main residence's eastern room.

The 4th young master's wife Qiao-Shi listened to the common maid's report, twisting her handkerchief in anger. Matron Chen, who was standing to the side, slipped the common maid a few pieces of silver and sent her off.

"Matron Chen, look at the kind of person I married. Not only did he give away the soup I brewed to a maid, but now he's also fraternizing in a room with the maids in broad daylight." Qiao-Shi raised her voice and with a wave of her hand swept a teacup to the floor.

Matron Chen gestured for Chun Tao to shut the door before turning to placate Qiao Shi.

"My dear madam, you must by all means lower your voice. This place isn't our home. We cannot afford being overheard and drawing the young master's ire."

Qiao-Shi's face had turned red from anger, and she couldn't prevent herself from crying.

"Why does my life have to be so hard? It isn't my fault I'm not attractive. If he had issues with my appearance why did he come to my house and propose back then? After I married into the family, he argued with me on our wedding night. The entire estate found out about it, throwing my dignity to the floor and trampling over it for good measure..."

No one would want their own husband to resent their appearance. It was the same for Qiao-Shi, but unfortunately appearance is determined from birth. How could one control it? Apart from being angry at herself and being angry at the 4th young master, Qiao-Shi was at a loss.

Qiao-Shi was the eldest daughter of a high ranking official in the Ministry of Appointments. Her parents pampered her from birth and her servants were also full of flattery and praise. Up until now, her only setback in life was the situation of her marriage, where she was disliked by her husband and looked down upon by his servants.

When she thought about how her life had been after marriage, Qiao-Shi was filled with heartache and the tears wouldn't stop flowing.

Matron Chen walked over, consoling her while wiping away her tears.

"My dear young miss, you mustn't cry. If you cry your eyes will swell up..."

Matron Chen was Qiao-Shi's wet nurse and was also part of her dowry. They naturally had a very close relationship. Matron Chen practically loved Qiao Shi as her own daughter, and it was hard for her to see her house's young mistress grieving to this extent. It wasn't just Qiao-Shi at a loss, Matron Chen herself was at a loss of what to do. It wasn't as if she could force the young master to her young miss's room and forbid him from getting close to the maids by his side. Especially since they were also at fault in this situation.

It's a bit of a long story.

Upon getting married, Qiao-Shi was resented by her husband. The 4th young master didn't even consummate their wedding night, moving directly to the guest house. Qiao-Shi endured her anger until the bridal homecoming , where she aired her grievances. Only then did her family members tell her the reason.

As it turned out, Qiao-Shi's parents spent a lot of effort for this marriage. The Jinyang Marquis Estate was a reputable family whose nobility was bestowed due to merit. Their foundations ran deep, their nobility unquestionable. Especially Ruan Siyi, who despite being the main bloodline's second born son already had a reputation in the capital as a talented scholar. His appearance was also quite outstanding. Although he would not be the one to inherit the noble title, he wouldn't be lacking in status as part of the Jinyang Marquis Estate.

Since he wasn't the main heir, their daughter wouldn't have to become a noblewoman. Everything could be left for her future sister-in-law to worry about. Besides, the wife of the heir was said to be famously dignified and magnanimous, meaning their daughter wouldn't be bullied by her in the future. The Jinyang Marquis Estate's madam was also known in the capital as someone who dotes on her daughter-in-law. How could Madam Qiao's heart not be stirred?