Untitled Part 111

Seeing the Jing Prince look at her, Matron Xu's voice grew quieter and quieter, "This commoner woman has a method, it's just....."

Towards the Jing Prince, Matron Xu had always had some fear. It wasn't just his status, but rather that she had never seen him smile before. He always had that cold expression. Therefore, in Matron Xu's mind, the Jing Prince was the type of vassal prince who liked to chop people up.

"Speak."

Matron Xu did her best to breath, and told herself that if this was successful, it would be a major merit. Her future glory was right in front of her, and she would move unhindered throughout the entire Jing Province. She slowly spoke.

"This commoner woman has a lot of experience delivering babies. In the past I've also delivered for many poorer families before. These poor families had a hard time eating their fill, and also couldn't afford any wet nurses. Therefore, this commoner woman has seen many instances of babies whose bodies were weak due to lack of nourishment during pregnancy....."

Because her words were a little far from the point, and because they were spoken for the ears of these noble people, Matron Xu spoke more and more hesitantly, and in the end her voice trailed off.

How could Matron Xu's thoughts not be understood by others? She was definitely afraid of angering the Jing Prince with her words, or perhaps her following words was going to be widely unaccepted.

"Continue." The Jing Prince said: "This humble prince will absolve you of guilt."

Matron Xu knelt and gave a kowtow before continuing: "There were small babies and large babies, fat and thin. This commoner woman had seen one that was the size of a palm, much smaller than the little master and mistress. In rich households, these sort of babies are hard to raise. However, in rural villages, these sort of weak babies were mostly able to grow up. Only after thinking for a long time did this commoner woman figure it out. These babies were all raised on breastmilk."

"Newborn babies are all raised on breastmilk. There's no need for you to tell us this. The wet nurses this one prepared all have excellent quality breastmilk." Eunuch Fu said.

"A wet nurse's milk isn't quite the same as breastmilk. Breastmilk comes from the mother....."

Matron Xu didn't finish her sentence, but everyone understood her meaning. She wanted to have madam do the feeding.

"Complete nonsense. Even a small wealthy household's mistress would have her newborn fed by a wet nurse, let alone our prince's estate. Where would you find a madam who breastfeeds her own child?" Eunuch Fu said angrily.

Matron Xu fell to her knees in fear.

Auntie Qi spoke on the side: "Don't reprimand her. What she said isn't without reason."

"What reason?" Eunuch Fu frowned and asked.

"How could we afford a wet nurse when we were younger? We were both raised by our own mothers. And those babies within the village were all raised by their mothers as well."

"How can we be compared to the madam!?"

Why couldn't they be? They were all human.

It was just that they were poor back then, and weren't able to live like the rich households. First of all they didn't have the thought, and secondly they didn't have the means. Therefore, poor households raised their kids themselves. The babies were breastfed by their mothers, and so they felt this was right and proper.

But what exactly was proper? It merely differed depending on the person.

"This servant feels like it could work. Back when madam was pregnant, we had her exercise regularly because we were afraid her stamina wasn't sufficient. People from poor households wouldn't need to do this because they are all used to doing manual labor, and it couldn't be avoided even when they were pregnant. Furthermore, it's true that we rarely hear about poor households being unable to raise their babies to maturity. Those who die prematurely mostly die from illness." Nana He said.