Untitled Part 127

Li Hong Chang left with this misunderstanding and explained the situation to everyone. The Li family was out of ideas.

Temporarily unable to come up with anything, they decided to remain in place for now.

The news from the south finally arrived, and the Jing Prince got a better understanding of this uncle.

"This is what happened with lord uncle. It seems due to something his superior did, everyone was investigated. Based on these numbers, his punishment should have been exile. It seems like the judge responsible for his sentencing knew that he was related to highness, and was thus lenient. Furthermore, since he was only implicated in passing, and hadn't committed any other crimes, they merely confiscated his belongings and annulled his post."

"Lord uncle isn't smart, but since he is timid he didn't dare do anything apart from embezzle some silver. These years as the magistrate in Pengyang County, he couldn't be said to have managed things well but at least he didn't anger the commoners into an uprising."

In the end, someone who wasn't that smart but was still a little smart and also timid, knew what he should touch and what he shouldn't. Of course, having a royal nephew was still of some use, otherwise he wouldn't be able to fumble about for so many years without any achievements and still remain untouched. Those under him didn't dare touch him, and those above couldn't be bothered with him.

"Then the reason he didn't get in touch before was because he was threatened?"

Within both lifetimes, the Jing Prince never expected this to be the reason.

Eunuch Fu muttered to himself before saying: "Venerated concubine had told this old servant and Auntie Qi a little back then. She said this older brother of hers didn't have any major issues, but was just blinded by his desire for status, and wanted to rise up in ranks with all his heart. This was how the venerated concubine ended up in the palace. When she died, highness was still young. Although the empress and the senior concubine didn't feel too threatened, they more or less still had some caution. Thus they sent their subordinates to threaten lord uncle with a few words."

As he spoke to this point, Eunuch Fu's smile faded a little, "The Li family isn't some major clan, and they were just the owners of a few acres of land. Lord uncle passed the imperial exam and wasn't able to advance any further, becoming a minor official. The capital, the palace and the emperor were all unreachable mountains to him. It's quite reasonable for him to be thoroughly frightened by a few threats."

Although Eunuch Fu didn't like that group of people, he wouldn't intentionally smear them. After all, he was also clear that they were his highness's only family on his mother's side. These people had some minor issues, but they couldn't be counted as bad people. They were at most kind of trashy, and could still be adjusted and taught.

"This humble prince understands."

Eunuch Fu endured a little before speaking once again, "Lord uncle coming up with this idea is probably because he's afraid you aren't close with them. Of course, part of it is wanting to get a better job for himself. If this isn't resolved, things probably won't calm down. Also, about miss Miao Lian...."

The Jing Prince fell into deep thought, and didn't speak.

***

New Year's came in the blink of an eye.

This year the New Year's Eve banquet couldn't be held the same way as last year. Firstly, the Jing Consort's confinement had been lifted and the Jing Prince had to make an appearance. Secondly, because lord uncle's family had come to the estate.

Xiao Hua had discussed spending this day by herself at the western pavilion, but the Jing Prince didn't agree. He only said that she couldn't always remain secluded.