Untitled Part 189

The next year, Qiao-Shi gave birth to a daughter.

This was Ruan Siyi's first time becoming a father, and he was excited for several days before calming down. He named the child Ruan Chenxi.

The days passed as before. Because there was an additional mouth to feed, their lives became more impoverished.

Ruan Siyi knew something had to be done and searched everywhere for opportunities to earn money. Those who put in the effort would be rewarded. He found a job that involved copying books. Although the pay wasn't high, it was a stable and long-term job.

When their daughter turned two, Qiao-Shi proposed leaving the capital and moving to Ruan Siyi's ancestral hometown in the southern Shaanxi Province.

"Since you've already decided to walk that path, we must go back there sooner or later."

Ruan Siyi was silent. He started packing up and they soon sold off their residence and moved back to his hometown.

It took a month for the family of four to arrive at the Yu County in the Shaanxi Province.

Actually, Ruan Siyi didn't have many relatives left in the Yu County, and he had never returned since growing up. But like Qiao-Shi had said, since he had such plans, he had to come back sooner or later.

He would be starting from scratch.

Luckily the residence in the capital was sold for over three hundred silver taels, and they temporarily didn't need to worry about money.

They rented a residence which was chosen by them after looking around for a while. It was close to the market but also secluded enough. It was extremely convenient.

Qiao-Shi's bun stand opened up shop once again, but Ruan Siyi's letter writing stand didn't reappear. Qiao-Shi had him study properly in order to pass the county level exam the following year. During this year, the money they got from selling their residence could last them for a while.

That's right. This was the reason they had moved back. The Ruan family was stripped of their nobility, and were now naturally permitted to take the imperial exam.

Ruan Siyi focused all his efforts on his studies. While Qiao-Shi set up her stand, he would read and occasionally help Matron Chen take care of his daughter. When Qiao-Shi was about to pack up, he would go pick her up.

The next year, Ruan Siyi entered the exam venue full of confidence, but didn't manage to pass.

When the results were announced, Ruan Siyi was extremely dispirited.

Eighteen years ago, his teacher had called him a good seedling. His poetry and prose had all been decent. Afterwards, he had cast aside his studies after feeling dejected, and it seemed he was now unable to pick it up again.

He wasn't willing to try again, preparing to continue setting up a stand to support his family. Qiao-Shi however scolded him and said: "Could it be that you finally have the opportunity to do something you've wanted to do for eighteen years, and you're going to give up just like that?"

That's right, this was something he had wished for a long, long time ago. This sort of longing had started the moment he picked up his brush, but due to the limitations of his status, he could only suppress his desires.

That's right, how could he give up?

He had already cast aside his dignity and two decades of prestige to become an impoverished letter writer. He had already given up on his pride and ego, what else did he have to lose?

If he didn't pass, he'll just try again! That temperate and refined Fourth Master Ruan had been ground to pieces over the years, and he had been able to piece himself back together. Why would he fear starting over!?