Untitled Part 104

It was like Imperial Physician Zhou had put on a turtle shell, making others not know where to start with him. Not only did the crown prince's side have a huge headache, the Jing Prince was the same.

If he wanted to understand Emperor Xi's condition, Imperial Physician Zhou was the only link in the chain. But he was impenetrable.

Since he couldn't do anything in the open, the Jing Prince could only use underhanded methods. Someone hid inside Imperial Physician Zhou's residence and interrogated him at knifepoint. However, the answer obtained was: "The emperor's body is healthy, and no matter how you ask it'll be the same answer. Kill me if you don't believe it."

There weren't any openings, so the person could only leave.

As for who would get blamed for this incident, it wasn't the Jing Prince's problem. He was just a small vassal prince far away. No one would suspect him.

But the next day Imperial Physician Zhou acted completely normal, and didn't seem to have reported it to the emperor. Or perhaps it was reported but the emperor didn't take any actions. Outsiders wouldn't be able to tell, but based on various small details from his past life, the Jing Prince became even more suspicious.

Sometimes, acting overly normal was a sort of cover-up.

The Jing Prince looked over the information on Imperial Physician Zhou he received from his subordinates. After looking and pondering over and over, he still couldn't find anything to act upon.

"This person doesn't seem to be simple." Huang Qin said on the side.

It wasn't just the Jing Prince who didn't know where to start, he himself had a toothache from looking.

"Is there anyone who understands him slightly better?"

The Jing Prince heard this and shook his head.

"It's impossible for there not to be. We just haven't discovered it. Even if there isn't anyone who's close to him, is there anyone who doesn't get along with him? Any enemies?"

They had to find breakthrough point, and couldn't just sit here at a loss. Only after understanding his majesty's condition can they decide how to proceed.

Huang Qin muttered to himself as he flipped through the information in his hands. The Jing Prince also lowered his head.

"Doctor Hu?"

The two of them looked at each other. Huang Qin was the first one to blurt it out.

***

When Doctor Hu was an imperial physician, he was a very sly person and was well versed in the secret art of survival.

What was the art of survival?

It was to be smart and cautious enough, as well as having a good deal of luck and also not offending anyone. To survive within the palace, especially in a place like the imperial hospital, this was absolutely necessary.

Those who understood this would say it was the mark of a wise person. But those who actually possessed this art knew that it meant they had no bottom line as a person.

Someone upright and direct would naturally not look kindly upon this kind of person without a bottom line. But one couldn't say the other was wrong. They could only say their characters were different.

The current Doctor Hu would look back and say a lot of his actions in the past were laughable. But ten years ago, as he was proud of his accomplishments and reaping his rewards, someone had spoken unpleasant words about it and they ended up forming an enmity.