Untitled Part 140

The alley where Xiao Hua lived was called the East Yuling Alley.

There were several dozen families living there. These were all decades old households, and they were all extremely familiar with each other. When a new, unfamiliar family moved in, they were naturally extremely curious.

But this new family kept their doors tightly shut, and never seemed to go out. They did see a woman go out to buy groceries once, but when she returned she closed the doors tightly behind her.

This was why Auntie Ma came to the door. It could be described as trying to get to know her neighbors, but also as trying to get some information about them.

Xiao Hua's explanation to Auntie Ma was that she was a widow with two children. As for Chun Cao and Ding Xiang, one was her older sister and the other was her younger sister.

Without mentioning the sisters part, Ding Xiang and Chun Cao's jaws already dropped when Xiao Hua said the word "widow". Chun Cao was a little calmer than Ding Xiang because she knew long ago that this was madam's planned disguise after leaving the estate. Now that she had two children, this disguise looked even more convincing.

But what about his highness? He got killed off just like that?

Only now did Chun Cao realize that women can be really ruthless when they were sulking.

Seeing two widows in one household, Auntie Ma felt sympathy for the young and old in the pavilion. She came over every few days to chat. When she saw Chun Cao and Ding Xiang struggle doing household chores, she even gave them a few pointers.

She also brought along her daughter-in-law, as well as some friendly young married women nearby as guests. After some back and forth, Xiao Hua's group started getting to know the people living in the alley. When Ding Xiang went out for groceries, there would be people greeting her and some of the women would invite her to go along with them.

Only after Ding Xiang got to know these women a little more through grocery shopping together a few times did she realize that they saw her as a widow as well. Considering her age and her getup, Ding Xiang could only rub her nose and admit to it. Madam had become a widow, and now she had become one too.

Zhuo'er and Yi Yi got a few more playmates. They were all children who lived nearby. The oldest was six and the youngest was two or three. The little goofballs took the two of them out to play, and they got to know the other children living in the alley.

Xiao Hua and Ding Xiang didn't feel at ease letting Zhuo'er and Yi Yi play outside. Every time, one of them would follow behind. After a few hints from the other families in the alley, they realized that those people weren't any more at ease compared to them, but rather that there were so many people in the alley, and they would all help keep an eye of them.

Didn't they notice none of them closed their gates? The adults would be doing their own things back home while keeping an eye on the playing children. Also, the older uncles and aunties from those households were idle, and would sit outside chatting while also helping keep watch.

There was a grandpa who lived in the alley called Old Chief Li. He was old and without any descendants. He lived by himself, and would sit outside his pavilion all day, only going back at night. If any of the children tried to run out of the alley, he would shoo them back inside.

At this point, Xiao Hua was able to feel at ease. She also learned to keep her gates open, letting the two children play outside in front of their pavilion.

A period of time passed like this. Not only Xiao Hua had more smiles on her face, but Chun Cao and Ding Xiang were the same way as well. Things were lively every day and the neighborhood was full of affection and friendship. Compared to life in the Jing Prince Estate, these were truly the days.