Untitled Part 70

Just based on the phrase "plans failed", Ding Xiang could tell that madam's actions last night weren't due to drunkenness. She could only sigh about madam's farsightedness, while thinking how the result was actually by design and not by chance.

What made her happiest of all was that his highness had actually tacitly approved madam's actions. No matter the reason, at least Senior Concubine Qiao didn't succeed in pulling his highness away. Everyone would have to reevaluate Madam Hua's position in his highness's heart.

Tearing off a tiger's skin to use as a banner was something Xiao Hua was very well versed in during her past life.

She also knew that this was drinking poison to quench her thirst, but she still had to do it. The difference between struggling and not struggling was just so hard to grasp, especially since from an outsider's perspective she was already quite favored by the Jing Prince. She would rather take the risk and seek out favor rather than allow Senior Concubine Qiao to take the Jing Prince from her place, and let others mock her while trampling her ruthlessly. It didn't matter if this "favor" truly existed as long as those on the outside thought it did.

As for offending Senior Concubine Qiao and the reaction from the Jing Consort, Xiao Hua could only play it by the ear. After all, the situation was already bad enough. It wouldn't make much of a difference if it got a little worse.

Xiao Hua made countless preparations, but unexpectedly the Changchun Pavilion was extremely peaceful today.

In a rare display, not only did the Jing Consort fail to make an appearance, even Senior Concubine Qiao acted as if nothing had happened. There was even less need to mention Yu Jiao and Yu Rong. Having been left hanging for over an hour, Yu Jiao had long since gotten impatient. If it wasn't for the Changchun Pavilion's restrictions, she would probably have flipped out already.

Xiao Hua looked at her surroundings out of boredom.

The Changchun Pavilion's main hall was magnificently decorated. In the center stood the Jing Consort's seat of honor. The two seats beneath it on either side were used to entertain guests. Each chair had an embroidered seat cushion. The ones they sat on was indigo blue embroidered with words of fortune. The Jing Consort's seat had a crimson mattress padding embroidered with golden threaded peony trees, seeming soft and comfortable, giving off a luxurious air.

The hall was arranged with several fixed treasure display shelves, upon which were all sorts of rarities. To the right was the reception, which was partitioned with a peacock green jade pearl curtain. Last time's banquet was set in that area. In the center of the room stood a flowing gold phoenix engraved incense furnace that was half the height of a person. A faint pleasant aroma permeated throughout the hall.

Rich households had always been fond of incense. Men and women, old and young alike were fond of it, so Xiao Hua wasn't too surprised. Even in her residence Ding Xiang would use some light fragrance.

After sitting for another while, the Jing Consort still didn't show signs of appearing.

Xiao Hua slowly relaxed. Looks like the Jing Consort was going to leave them hanging. It was better this way. She wouldn't have to waste her energy figuring out how to deal with things.

After sitting until it was almost time for lunch, the Jing Consort had still not appeared. Yu Jiao couldn't hold her temper in any longer and asked a palace maid: "What's wrong with the consort today? It's already so late but she's still not out."

That palace maid respectfully bowed and said: "This servant is just responsible for serving tea, and isn't sure of the consort's situation."

"Then don't you know how to go ask? Leaving us hanging here, it's already almost noon." The last line was mumbled by Yu Jiao, but she had still clearly expressed her impatience.