Untitled Part 142

The women who were in the middle of discussion stopped, and glanced at Xiao Hua who had her head lowered bashfully.

"You're right, Miss Tao's so good looking."

Miss Tao was the best looking woman in their East Yuling alley. Her skin was fair and tender, her little face exquisite and her figure fine. Although she was a little widow, there were many young men in the alley who had surreptitiously made some inquiries. This was also why these women brought up the topic today; they had been asked by many people.

"I feel like scholar He is pretty good. He's passed the imperial exam, you know?"

"Scholar He won't do. He looks too delicate. His shoulders can't carry anything and his hands can't lift anything. The young man from the grocery store is pretty good."

"I feel still feel butcher Zhang is alright. He's got a nice property, and selling pork means he doesn't lack for meat or money. There's only him and his son at home, and no mother-in-law. The key is that butcher Zhang is very sturdy. Us women need a sturdy man to feel a sense of security." It seemed like this young woman's type was tall and sturdy men like butcher Zhang.

"Aiya, dear lady, you're too lewd. Just because a man is sturdy doesn't mean his good at "that"."

Before the dear lady could respond, another young woman interrupted, "Right, right, right. You can't just consider appearances. Only if his property, earning ability and what not is good would a woman live happily."

"Oh? Seems like that husband of yours keeps you very satisfied."

That woman spat back, "Tch, tch, tch, is yours back home not good? If he wasn't, would you look like this?"

This bunch of young women all had sharp eyes. Those who lived good lives and were comfortable would have glowing looks, their faces flush and fair. In contrast, those with sallow faces and dispirited appearances were clearly not doing well at their husband's place.

"He's naturally good."

"Mine back home isn't good." One of the young women interrupted weakly. "It's not that he's bad, it's that his mom is too bothersome. She'd always be crouched outside our window eavesdropping, making us too scared to do anything. I feel like my man won't be able to do it anymore at this rate."

"Aiya, your mother-in-law's bad habit hasn't been corrected yet? Didn't you say she corrected it after you went back to your mother's place?"

"She stopped for a few days, but then reverted back to her old ways again."

"This won't do...."

The topic jumped from recommending marriage partners for Xiao Hua to scheming how to deal with that young woman's perverted mother-in-law.

Xiao Hua was glad that they were no longer talking about her, but also almost choked on her spit at the "freshness" of their new topic.

Chun Cao who had been secretly listening on the side had run away in embarrassment. Ding Xiang was hanging the clothes out to dry, and her mouth was twitching as she listened.

It had to be said that there was a sense of liveliness surrounding these people. It seemed like this was truly living life.

Although they weren't well off, each household had one husband and one wife. There were no concubines, no struggles and no dirty secrets. Ding Xiang, who had long since given up on ever marrying, suddenly felt that if she had a man who was so considerate, living such an average yet fulfilling life seemed to be pretty nice!

***

Although butcher Zhang looked thick and sturdy, he was actually quite meticulous.

Since his son had eaten at Miss Tao's place several times, he would bring over a piece of meat every once in a while, saying it was to express his gratitude.