Untitled Part 153

Everyone's attention was naturally focused on the new emperor's first offspring after his ascension.

The moment the second prince was born, the news was spread all over.

Xiao Hua didn't take long to deliver him. She had adjusted herself well during pregnancy and had made plenty of preparations. Before evening fell, the baby was safely delivered.

When the empress received the news, she immediately let out a breath, and then gripped the bowl of medicine in her hands tightly.

The next day, the empress conferral ceremony continued according to convention.

The Jing Prince's apathetic air seemed to have faded quite a bit on this day. Considering the birth of the second prince, the officials all understood the reason.

Xiao Hua should have been the one leading the concubines to pay respects to the empress. Virtuous Concubine Qiao took over the role instead.

The empress sat high above on her throne and seemed extremely satisfied. The only regret she had was that Xiao Hua wasn't there. But what others had said was right. In the future, she would be the empress, and thus was in charge of the rear palace. She wielded the phoenix seal, and would have other opportunities to deal with that person.

This day belonged to the empress. Xiao-Shi had never experienced this feeling of looking down upon everyone while sitting up high. She grew intoxicated on this feeling, but something suddenly happened that snapped her out of it.

On the second day of the empress conferral ceremony, the Jing Emperor passed down an edict conferring the eldest prince Luo Zhuo as the crown prince.

This imperial edict immediately aroused great waves.

Many officials submitted memorandums saying that this was unreasonable.

This time the Jing Emperor didn't engage in tai-chi with these people and overruled them extremely abruptly. What was unreasonable? Apart from emphasizing the principle wife, the Grand Xi Dynasty had always emphasized seniority as well. Since the principle wife didn't have any offspring as of this moment, there was no need to consider her. Thus, it made sense to go with seniority. The eldest prince was the Jing Emperor's oldest son, and his mother's status was also not low. She was personally conferred the senior concubine by his majesty, and even had a meaningful title.

What do you mean the prime senior concubine had a lowly background? Within the imperial rear palace, there was no regard for background. Everything under the heavens belonged to the emperor. If the emperor said someone was highborn, who would dare call that person lowly?

Furthermore, the Jing Emperor also said that establishing the crown prince early made the nation more stable. This was also truly reasonable.

Those underneath naturally weren't able to pick out any faults with the emperor's attitude and actions. The few who did were intentionally ignored by the Jing Emperor. Things were thus decided.

Jia Sheng, the director of the Board of Rites, was unperturbed. While the others were astonished, he was the only one who wasn't.

This was because he had received the edict establishing the crown prince at the same time as those conferring the empress and the senior concubine. He had already gone through the procedures early on, and was only now bringing it out.

The meaning of this was worth some serious consideration.

Of course, Jia Sheng was also an old talent. He had some thoughts in his mind, and didn't mention them to anyone.

The second prince's Third Wash ceremony was held at the Chenxi Palace. The Jing Emperor presided over it personally. This time wasn't as before with Luo Zhuo's case. Many people wanted to attend, but since the Third Wash ceremony was for within the family, only the rear palace's concubines and the former emperor's few princesses were in attendance.