Untitled part 41

August 15th marked the arrival of the mid-Autumn festival, but the Jing Prince Estate didn't seem to be making preparations for festivities.

Of course, this was merely based on Xiao Hua's observations. She never left the Hall of Splendor and naturally wasn't aware that the palace maids in other areas were rather busy. The Jing Prince had to host a banquet in the Hall of Ascension for the various officials in his vassal state.

Apart from a few factors, being a vassal prince in the Grand Xi Dynasty was actually quite nice.

The imperial court gave vassal princes a lot of freedom. Apart from a few necessary defensive measures, the vassal state was basically the prince's own little country.

Since the Jing Prince ruled over them, the officials under his jurisdiction definitely took the chance to curry some favor during the various annual holidays and festivals. After all, everyone had some ambition in their hearts. No matter how much the prince was averse to such festivities, he still had to host them occasionally. It was necessary to tell those under him "Right, you guys are excellent. This humble prince is very satisfied with you all. This banquet is held in your honor as a reward for everyone".

Therefore, such occasions had become occasions for the Jing Prince to interact with his subordinates.

All of the officials within the Jing Provinces borders were well aware of their lord's personality.

He had no habits and never spoke. Of course he also wasn't mute. When the Jing Prince first arrived, many had heard the rumors from the capital that the fifth prince was mute. But after serving under him for a while they realized he wasn't actually mute, he just didn't enjoy speaking.

Just like now, where the Jing Prince sat on the main seat in the Hall of Ascension, drinking by himself as though the celebrations below had nothing to do with him. The Jing Prince wore a traditional prince's crown and outfit today, looking very regal and striking. Unfortunately his apathetic aura was too strong, making others notice his indifference instead of his handsome appearance.

Even though everyone noticed this inharmonious contrast, they pretended not to see it and even dialed up their celebrations.

This was a benefit hosted by their lord. Even if they weren't interested, the subordinates had an obligation to create a festive atmosphere to avoid provoking their lord's anger. What? This humble prince hosted a feast for you all. What is the meaning of your sorrowful faces and unhappiness?

Therefore, the lively feast proceeded under this type of strange atmosphere. If one didn't look at the prince's apathetic face and ignored the fact that he hadn't spoken a word since the start, it was actually a pretty good time.

Halfway through the feast, an official around forty years old paid respects.

"Your highness Jing Prince, this lower official Zhu Da Jian, Governor of the Lucheng District has specially prepared an offering for your highness during this mid-Autumn Festival."

After speaking, a fifteen or sixteen year old girl in the prime of her life walked through the doors of the hall. She wore an emerald green sleeveless blouse and a pale bluish white skirt embroidered with branches and grass patterns. A jade hazy satin veil was draped over her, her shoulders sharp, her waist narrow, her muscles toned, and her eyes contained promises of flowing spring waters. She was a beauty!

The others at the feast were extremely dumbfounded. Offering a beauty!?

Everyone looked at the district governor Zhu Da Jian with weird expressions, as though they were getting ready to watch a good show.

"I present my humble daughter Bi Yan to his highness the Jing Prince. She can sing and dance, play instruments and is fifteen years old this year."

It had to be said that this Zhu Da Jian was a wily old fox. Not only did he offer up his own daughter, it was also in front of so many people yet there was no awkwardness or embarrassment in his expression. In fact, his face even held a smile as he kept a casual expression.