Untitled Part 29

Objectively, the Jing Prince was someone who was very easy to serve.

As low-ranked palace maids who had only been doing manual labor, none of them had any experience in personally serving the master. They had all been a little flustered in the beginning, but the Jing Prince had never commented on it. Only Eunuch Fu would give them a few reminders in private.

However, Xiao Hua had also confirmed that the Jing Prince was a very strange person. In the few days she had served him, she had never heard him speak, and he had never given them any orders.

When he returned to the hall, he would sit there without moving. Every time he sat, it seemed as though he entered a meditative state, his face expressionless. At least Xiao Hua hadn't seen him make any other expression besides his lack of expression.

Xiao Hua even started to suspect whether he was a mute, though of course she could only keep her suspicions to herself and didn't dare express it.

Having served a few days in the hall, Xiao Hua's group also had some understanding of the prince's character.

This understanding came from their own observations during their work, and also from what the two low-ranked eunuchs serving with them in the front hall had pointed out. These two eunuchs were called Xiao Xia Zi and Xiao Qin Zi. The two of them were the hall's eunuchs who performed miscellaneous tasks, their status slightly higher than the eunuchs who performed such tasks outside the hall. After all, there was still a difference between the inside and outside of the hall, and even for miscellaneous tasks the difference in status was clearly noted.

There were a few other eunuchs in the Hall of Splendor, but those few were all extremely strict and were only responsible for serving his highness personally. They never spoke with Xiao Hua's group of low-ranked palace maids so they weren't familiar with them.

According to Xiao Xia Zi, his highness the Jing Prince's character was just that indifferent. He rarely spoke so it was important to pay attention to what his eyes were saying when serving him.

What was said with the eyes was usually nebulous, and whether one could understand the meaning depended on personal skill. Xiao Xia Zi could only give them a few pointers that made it easier to serve his highness in the future, but wasn't able to say much else.

And regarding the reason for the Jing Prince's weirdness, no one dared to ask and no one dared to tell.

How can a servant comment on his master's business? They just had to do their jobs well. The closer one served by the master's side, the better the opportunities but also the greater the dangers. This was what Xiao Xia Zi said as he pretended to be profound in response to Xi'er who showed signs of wanting to ask about his highness's personality.

Some people didn't accept this while others deeply accepted it. Xiao Hua, for example, knew these words were true.

Without considering anything else, just the fact that everyone who served in the Hall of Splendor had solemn and respectful bearings made this concept very clear. Xiao Xia Zi also normally looked to be mindful of his words and actions, so it was unexpected that he acted so familiar with their group of low-ranked palace maids.

Xiao Hua didn't learn much else from her two lifetimes, but she had learned how to read people pretty well. At least she could tell that behind Xiao Xia Zi's smiling face hid arrogance. She reckoned that someone had instructed him to fill them in on things, otherwise he wouldn't take the time to be bothered with them.

After serving inside the hall for a few days, Xiao Hua had pretty much figured out that they were last minute additions.

While they seemed to be serving, the available jobs had already been divided amongst others. Those who served the tea only served tea, those responsible for meals only waited on the prince during the meal, whereas she and Xiu Yun were responsible for just standing there.