Untitled Part 35

When the Jing Consort received news that Eunuch Fu had once again arranged low palace maids into the Hall of Splendor, it was long after the fact.

The Hall of Splendor had been built as though a metal container, and its news would rarely spread outside. If it weren't for those newly entered low-ranked palace maids coming out a few times, no one would have known about it.

After receiving this news, Xiao-Shi threw the teacup in her hand to the floor, and fell ill that very night.

During this time, Nana Li sent someone to the estate's medical center to invite a doctor over. Doctor Hu examined Xiao-Shi for a long time, not saying much after taking her pulse, only prescribing a few medications and telling the consort to rest more.

Xio-Shi had always been weak and was often ill. Doctor Hu had always been the one to take care of her. Seeing the doctor not expressing anything else, the servants obediently went to brew the medicine. They didn't even think to inform the Jing Prince because they were very clear. Even if he knew Xiao-Shi was bedridden, he wouldn't come.

Especially since Xiao-Shi was always ill half the time; everyone had already gotten used to it.

Xiao-Shi leaned against the couch with a pale face, and with Nana Li's help drank the medicine down.

"Wet nurse, tell me what the point is of being the prince's consort if even a damn eunuch dares to step over my head!" After speaking, Xiao-Shi started coughing again.

Xiao-Shi was twenty-four years old this year, younger than the Jing Prince by a year. Oval faced, her appearance was dignified and beautiful. Because her body was weak, she was often bedridden, her face overflowing with an air of sickness and paleness.

Nana Li patted her on the back for a while and also gave her some water before sighing: "Consort, don't think too much of it. Just focus on recuperating."

Xiao-Shi naturally understood Nana Li's words. She felt angry and sullen, and her tears unexpectedly began to flow, "Is my contrite attitude not obvious enough? Why does he refuse to forgive me!?"

Nana Li sighed once more, and didn't speak.

How should she put it? If she was in the prince's shoes, she probably wouldn't forgive her either. No matter what, the Jing Prince was the dragon's descendent. What the consort did all those years ago had thoroughly ruined the couple's relationship.

Fortunately the prince was a taciturn person and didn't say much about it, even helping to conceal it to some extent. If Xiao-Shi's doings were revealed, not only would she be disliked by the prince, she could only be put to death since she violated the royal family's prestige.

It was a clichéd story: a pair of cousins making unfounded assumptions. It's just that the girl ended up not marrying her cousin, but someone else instead.

Xiao-Shi was born into the empress's maiden household, the Jing Duke Estate. It was put this way, but she really was just a commoner girl from the side branch.

In theory, Xiao-Shi didn't have sufficient status to become the consort of the fifth prince. But after she was listed by the Jing Duke as the main family concubine's child, the marriage was then appointed by Empress Xiao. The emperor gave the order and bestowed upon her the title of the fifth prince's consort.

Ascending to the sky in a single day. What does it matter if the fifth prince wasn't favored? No matter how Xiao-Shi put it, he was still a true-blue royal prince. Unfortunately Xiao-Shi had been young at the time. Having been set on marrying her cousin, this sudden interruption shattered all her dreams.

It would have been fine if it was any other prince. However, everyone in the capital knew of the "mute fifth prince". Having been an invisible person in the palace, his mother the Venerated Concubine had met an early demise as well, and he was hated by the emperor. His life in the palace couldn't even be compared to some of those young masters from rich households, let alone to that of his royal brothers.