Untitled Part 168

Within the Jing Duke's Estate.

The Jing Duke sat in the main hall, his expression gloomy. Around him sat several important people of the Xiao clan's main branch.

"What should we do? Lady Hui is so timid, she'll definitely let something slip." The Xiao clan's second lord sat to the side, his expression also not looking too well. "This Chengyang Count's madam is truly too useless. How did she end up confessing so quickly? Furthermore, it was clearly elder brother's wife who was discussing this with her. Lady Hui was just sitting on the side. How did she end up becoming the co-conspirator?"

Hearing this, the eldest lord of the Xiao clan knit his brows, "So what you're saying is, your sister-in-law should have been the one taken away?"

"Big bro, your little brother didn't mean that. My sister-in-law is exceptionally intelligent and responsible. She has managed the household for many years. She has also been part of the discussions on strategy these past couple of days. Lady Hui knows nothing except that our family had collaborated with the Chengyang madam. If she truly ends up confessing, wouldn't it harm our family?"

The eldest lord also knew the second lord was speaking the truth, and his expression turned even darker.

"It seems that this Chengyang Count's household isn't simple. That madam definitely didn't implicate carelessly. She did it on purpose." The Jing Duke suddenly spoke.

"On purpose?"

The Jing Duke nodded bitterly, "She figured that we would do our best to avoid responsibility and shift the blame, and knew that the second lord's wife is a weak link. Therefore, she purposefully implicated her, catching us off guard and making it easier for her to escape blame."

The two lords of the Xiao clan both had gloomy expressions. The Xiao clan's eldest madam sobbed on the side, "How did we forget to tell younger sister-in-law about this. Things truly happened too suddenly...."

"What kind of cowardly woman did you marry? She's had more failures than accomplishments, and only knows to cry. Your sister-in-law has bitterly instructed her for so many years, but still ended up being useless." The Xiao clan's eldest lord vented his anger.

The second lord glared wide-eyed and roared at his brother: "Let me tell you, say what you have to say, just don't bring my wife into it. What's wrong with my wife? Aren't all women timid? Is it wrong to be an honest person? Why don't you blame your own wife? What did she pull my wife along for? Lady Hui never liked to go outside...."

"Enough! What are you arguing about!? If you have time to argue, why don't you think of how to get through this situation?"

The fourth lord who had remained silent until now suddenly spoke. "Father, your son feels this situation isn't that simple. That Jing Emperor suddenly made such a big move, and it definitely isn't just showing the senior concubine favor. Your son feels like he's set something up and is just waiting for us to fall in."

The fourth lord was always the wise character within the Jing Duke's Estate. Therefore, everyone took his words seriously.

The Jing Duke's expression sank, "You're saying this is all the Jing Emperor's setup? Including the prime senior concubine's situation?"

The fourth lord muttered for a few minutes before shaking his head, "Doesn't seem like it. That situation should be real. We ourselves investigated it. The Jinyang Estate truly sold off a batch of people at that time. It's just—-"

"Just what? Can you not leave things unsaid?" The second lord was impatient and couldn't help but push.

"The Jinyang madam's reaction doesn't seem to be fake, and the Yingguo Duke's situation is much more serious so it's natural for them to have thoughts. The Chengyang Count's situation should also be real. The prime senior concubine is solely favored, so it's natural for Virtuous Concubine Qiao to try and pull her down. The only abnormal part is—–"