Untitled Part 186

Within the capital, the Jinyang Marquis's Estate had fallen silent overnight.

But while they were silent, the people were still alive, and they still had to pass their days.

Ruan Zhan had fallen, his noble title stripped and the status passed down for many generations had perished in his hands. He truly couldn't take such a major blow.

He remained bedridden for half a year before no longer being able to hold on.

Therefore, before Ruan Siming and Ruan Siyi could take off their mourning garbs for their mother, they had to put on new ones once again.

The brothers still had work to do, but they could only put it on hold to mourn the loss of their father. At this time, the two were at a loss. This was because they were very clear their jobs had been obtained due to the Jinyang Marquis's face. Their mother had offended his majesty, and this mourning period would probably be never-ending.

However, a starving camel was still larger than a horse. In the past their family had quite a few businesses. If they two brothers were a bit more frugal, they could still have enough for the rest of their lives. Of course, this was Ruan Siyi's own thoughts. Others thought differently.

After Ruan Zhan died, the concubines who had been suppressed by Tian-Shi in the past all came out of the woodworks, fussing about splitting the inheritance. The two people who cared about dignity encountered a bunch of people who didn't, and could only split the inheritance.

They couldn't even give less to anyone. Everyone knew the Ruan family had offended his majesty, and even Ruan Siyi's in-laws didn't dare interfere and manage things, let along that useless Yingguo Duke's Estate. Therefore, they could only split it evenly amongst everyone. After everyone took a share, they had even less remaining.

Ruan Siming seemed to have gotten annoyed at the fuss, and after they were done splitting things he drove everyone who wasn't part of his own family out. This included his own brother, Ruan Siyi.

Ruan Siyi didn't say anything about it, took all his women and moved out to the residence that was allocated to him.

Qiao-Shi didn't make a fuss and did whatever was needed. The family affairs weren't handled by her, and it was someone else's problem.

Ruan Siyi had four concubines and several chambermaids. Every one of them were pampered and spoiled, including Ruan Siyi himself, and they naturally purchased some servants. They lived as they had before, and before long, their income couldn't cover their expenditures.

Actually, there wasn't any income at all.

The dozens of people all needed to eat, and the silver grew less and less.

During the division of inheritance, he had also inherited two stores. Unfortunately, business wasn't good at either one. Let alone make money, he even had to spend his own money on the stores. Ruan Siyi could only close the stores and sell them for silver.

After that silver was spent, he then realized the farmland he was allocated wasn't good either and sold it off as well.

Qiao-Shi merely watched without saying anything.

Finally, everything that could be sold was sold, and all that remained were these few people and their two residences. Thus, the servants started getting sold off.

Without servants, those pampered people naturally weren't used to it. As for Qiao-Shi, she shut her own doors and spent her days with Chun Tao and Matron Chen, not caring about the fallout.

Soon, people wrapped up their own jewelry and ran off. The most impressive one even stole the jade ornaments Ruan Siyi had kept for memories.

........