Untitled Part 21

Only after having stayed a few days did Xiao Hua realize where she had ended up.

This was the Jing Province, and they were inside the Jing Prince Estate as a batch of newly entered servants.

The Jing Province was the vassal state of the Jing Prince. The current prince was the emperor's fifth son, who was conferred as the Jing Prince. The palace maids inside a prince's estate could normally not be chosen from the commoners, but the Jing Prince sympathized with his subjects and abolished this imperial order, purchasing all his maids from the general populace.

Xiao Hua didn't have any impression of the Jing Province, and wasn't even sure where it was located. She only knew what she had overheard from her time as a maid. It seemed to be very, very far from the capital, and could be described as a cold and desolate place.

Since I'm here, might as well make it my home. Xiao Hua could only think of it this way.

The Jing Prince Estate had many strict rules, and her group of newly entered maids still weren't allowed to step outside of their training grounds.

Their training grounds was the large courtyard Xiao Hua and the rest had been staying in. It was said this place was specially used to train newly entering maids, and only after qualifying could they leave and begin their duties.

The training was very arduous, but the housing and food given were all pretty good. They got two sets of clothing, from inner wear to outer wear, and even the bedding was new.

They lived four maids to one room. The room was very small, just enough to fit four beds and a cabinet each for their things. But compared to sleeping in the bunk enclosure, this was better by far.

It was worth noting that Xiao Hua coincidentally ended up being assigned to the same room as Xi'er. The other two in the room were also around the same age as them. One was called Xiu Yun, and the other was the oval-faced girl who was always sneering, Qiao Lian.

Of the four in the room, Xiu Yun was fifteen while the other three were fourteen.

Four people with four types of personalities. Xiao Hua and Xiu Yun were both girls of few words. Xiao Hua just didn't feel like speaking whereas Xiu Yun was naturally calm and quiet, though she normally could endure a lot of suffering. She was unlike Xi'er and Qiao Lian, who would whine for days after getting back from the day's training.

Qiao Lian still had the same haughty expression and penchant for mocking others. Xi'er was naturally talkative and didn't hold grudges. She would always be infuriated by Qiao Lian until her eyes turned red, but with a twist of her head it would seem as if nothing happened and she'd continue talking with Qiao Lian.

After listening to her chattering for a period of time, Xiao Hua felt that she still liked Xi'er a fair amount. She gave off a feeling of innocence, her face unable to hide any expressions and her stomach unable to swallow any words.

Learning proper etiquette was a very difficult task. Even though Xiao Hua had lived as a maid for two lifetimes, she had never been trained so strictly before.

Raising a pot was the first step, which was just keeping an empty wooden pot raised with both hands.

While it sounded easy, it was actually very difficult. This was because they weren't just raising it up and putting it down, but rather holding it up for an entire half-hour.

That was only the beginning. After training to hold up the empty pot for two days, the pot was filled with water. First the pot was filled by less than half, and then half. Many people were unable to endure and ended up spilling water all over themselves.