Chapter 124- 126

Chapter 124: Spitting Blood from Rage for the Third Time

On that very night, the prison guard went back to relieve the afternoon shift. At the sight of him, Jia Yin couldn't help becoming excited and tried to find an opportunity to talk to him.

But the prison guard ignored all his signals. Gradually, Jia Yin came to realize that something was wrong. He stopped gesticulating and started yelling to attract the prison guard's attention.

Since other prison guards looked in Jia Yin's direction, that prison guard had no choice but to walk up to the cell of Jia Yin. "Stop that! You're faced with imminent death. Why are you still making trouble? If you wish to kick the bucket earlier, I can do you a favor!"

"You–!" Through gritted teeth, Jia Yin lowered his voice and questioned, "You dug up the case, didn't you?"

"Maybe I did. Maybe I didn't. What are you going to do about it?" replied the prison guard in a flinty tone of voice.

"You took my gold. You owe it to me to offer me help!" Jia Yin said angrily.

"Offer you help? Jia Yin, who told you that I took your gold? That case was empty. There was nothing in it. You should consider yourself lucky I didn't kick your ass for cheating me. Yet you still have the nerve to request my help?" The face of the prison guard fell sullen.

"That's not possible!" Jia Yin raised his voice. "I buried that case myself. Nobody but me knew about its existence. There's no way that anybody had taken the gold in it before you. It has got to be your doing. Stop denying it!"

"Bah!" The prison guard reached out his hand and gripped Jia Yin's neck. "If you don't lower your voice, I'll snap your neck right now!"

"You–You don't have the balls to do that. If I suddenly die here, somebody will come to investigate! You won't be able to get away with it!" said Jia Yin with great difficulty, trying hard to remove the hand around his throat, a scarlet flush on his cheeks.

"Then go and tell on me. You're just a convict awaiting execution. Nobody cares if you die a day or two earlier. The worst-case scenario would be for me to lose my job, but nothing more than that," the prison guard smiled wryly, tightening his grip.

Jia Yin immediately tried harder to remove the hand from his neck, the misery on his face deepening. "Are you not afraid that I expose you taking my gold?!"

"Nobody will believe you in the absence of any proof. If I say the case was empty, nothing can prove otherwise."

"You..."

"Let me tell you something, Jia Yin. You'll never make it out of here. Even if Lord Tao were willing to spare you — and that's a big 'if' — by no means will people of Ling family let you get away. Have you any idea which big shot has come to the support of Ling family? The sound of his very name will scare the shit out of you!"

After saying this, the prison guard gave Jia Yin a hard push, who lost his footing and fell backwards onto the ground. Then he let out a pained groan and dissolved into terrible cough.

The loud noises caught other people's attention. A couple of prison guards walked over and asked, "What's going on?"

Cells of Mrs. Jia and relatives of Jia family were not far away. The noises brought them into panic. "Master? Are you okay?"

Coughing repeatedly, Jia Yin was unable to make a response.

"This old fox was trying to play tricks again. I taught him a lesson," said the prison guard who had squeezed Jia Yin's neck.

Other prison guards took a look at Jia Yin and, after confirming that he would survive, ignored him and reminded the prison guard, "Don't kill him. Otherwise we'll have trouble giving Lord Tao a plausible explanation."