Chapter 546- 547

Chapter 546: Spin-Off – A Journey to the South Ocean (4)

Ji Yanlai, who possessed amazing powers of prediction, was no doubt a formidable opponent of Yuwen Tong's in this game. Yuwen Tong, with his retentive memory, was able to deduce what faces the others had in hand, while Ji Yanlai, because of his intuition which was almost always right, barely needed to think before making accurate judgements.

Having realized this, Ling Zhang felt that he had to change his tactics. Before this moment, he had been playing on a fair-play basis, but now he decisively sided with Yuwen Tong, deciding to join hands with him.

Ji Yanlai glanced at the two of them and then took the first card.

Ji Yanlai indeed had unnaturally good luck – or unnaturally accurate sixth sense. He could always promptly make the optimum decision. Yuwen Tong, on the other hand, had extraordinary memory, exceptional powers of deduction and Ling Zhang, who also had some powers of prediction, at his back. It transpired that he and Ji Yanlai were evenly matched.

Eventually, the others present were not expecting to see who would be the winner, but were judging which one of them had the upper hand. Of course, there was also someone who was in the dark about what was really going on – Yuwen Jin.

It could be said that Yuwen Jin was the only one present unaware of both Ji Yanlai's mysterious abilities and the enigmatic Force of Blood in Ling Zhang. As he saw that Ji Yanlai was single-handedly playing against Yuwen Tong and Ling Zhang without letting the latter two get one over him, he was filled with admiration for Ji Yanlai.

"Wow! That's really impressive, Clan Leader!" Yuwen Jin exclaimed in awe.

Everybody else on the vessel addressed Ji Yanlai as Clan Leader, so Yuwen Jin followed suit, but he had never been told what kind of clan Ji Yanlai was leading. He only had a sneaking suspicion that Ji Yanlai was the leader of some mysterious Jianghu sect.

Judging from how members of the Millennium Pavilion had been dealing with things, they were indeed making a Jianghu sect of themselves.

Ji Yanlai was also amazed that Yuwen Tong, with merely his eidetic memory, had so far managed to keep up with him. Both photographic memory and gifts passed down from ancestors counted as abilities endowed by Providence, so the two of them were on a level playing ground when it came to card games.

"I won," said Yuwen Tong, putting down his last card.

Ling Zhang looked at his faces and was relieved. They won yet again.

All the others heaved a long sigh of relief as well, feeling that they finally extricated themselves from the nervous atmosphere.

Ji Yanlai lifted his brows and put down the remainder of his cards. He had predicted that luck would not be with him in this round, that he would be dealt a poor hand. He had foretold that he would lose, so this outcome did not strike him as unacceptable.

Both sides had won in as many hands as the ones in which they had lost, so it constituted a draw game, but for the spectators, the thrilling process mattered more than the outcome.

Thus, thanks to Yuwen Jin's brilliant suggestion, people on the vessel managed to while away the first stage of the voyage playing cards. When the fleet entered the South Ocean, they put away the card table and psyched themselves up for what lay ahead.

As expected, they received invitations from the countries along their route when the fleet was crossing the waters bordering those countries.

Because they were on a rescue mission, Yuwen Tong did not have his men get ashore but exchanged usual pleasantries with the officials from those countries and told them that he would visit their monarchs on his way back.