Chapter 542- 543

Chapter 542: The Tenth Wedding Anniversary Celebration and a Scheduled Around-the-World Tour

Everybody present witnessed what could be called a genuine grand occasion at the celebration when Ling Zhang played the tune that attracted countless birds to the palace to pay homage to him. Also, what happened on this day arrested the attention of residents in the capital city. After they came to know that it had been a melody played by the empress that had drawn the birds, the festivity in the city was taken to a new level.

The empress was capable of having birds come to heel, which meant that even providence had acknowledged him as the empress of the Great Wen. What could they possibly take more pride in than this?

If previously some had had a sneaking suspicion that Ling Zhang was not fit to be an empress, none of them dared utter another word about it after seeing this scene.

This scene was also called a propitious omen, a bounty bestowed by divine providence. When Ling Zhang finished the tune, the birds lingered in the palace, unwilling to leave. Officials of all descriptions had got on their knees and started chorusing "Long live the emperor! Long live the empress!"

From this day on, Yuwen Tong's and Ling Zhang's positions as the emperor and the empress respectively were further consolidated, their identities having a deeper meaning in people's sight.

...

During the remainder of the celebration, envoys from various foreign countries presented the anniversary gifts they had prepared for the imperial couple. The most enthralling one was from the envoy of a mini-state located in the Western Regions, who a few days ago had lost the tribute and had a hard job recovering it. It was two pieces of jade, which matched and were very special, transparent on the outside and milky white on the inside. When placed with a distance in between, they looked no different than common jade, but when one of them approached the other, the milky white parts of them were slowly drawn to each other like two clouds of gas.

"Our king, by very rare luck, found them on a sacred mountain in our country. They're sentient jade. They not only make their bearers feel warm in winter and cool in summer but also share some kind of special bond. Our High Priest said that these two pieces of jade are a gift for true lovers from providence, that they have sentience and the power to save two lovers from a life-threatening danger. Our king, after obtaining them, decided to gift them to Your Majesty and Your Highness."

Actually Ling Zhang's curiosity was indeed piqued. He did not know whether or not the two pieces of jade could really save people from life-threatening danger, but the amazing reaction they showed when approaching each other struck him as entrancing.

When he and Yuwen Tong took the two pieces of jade respectively, Ling Zhang did not know whether it was an illusion or not, but he felt that their reaction became more obvious – their milky white parts moved faster, their color growing deeper, giving off a soft faint glow, as though they had come alive.

The others present also observed the change and spontaneously started whispering to each other in awe. Even Ji Yanlai whose eyes had beheld numerous rare and precious items couldn't help but curiously cast another few glances at them.

Ling Zhang liked the jade so much he could barely take his eyes off it. He could feel that the jade was mild and harmless. On top of that, the vexation that had been smoldering in him during the past few days dissolved the moment he took the jade in his hand.

'This is a real treasure.'

This was the most heartfelt and most direct thought in Ling Zhang's mind at this moment.

Yuwen Tong also liked the gift very much, and even more so when he observed that Ling Zhang couldn't wrench his gaze from it. He not only handsomely rewarded the envoys from the mini-state in the Western Regions who had gifted him and Ling Zhang with the jade but also offered them a wish, one that he would grant as long as it was within his powers to do so.