Chapter 208- 210

Chapter 208: Were You the One Who Did This?

"At today's morning court meeting?"

"Yeah. Just now I saw Jiang Yu make haste to go back home."

"Tsk, tsk. It caused so many deaths and also a riot, yet his punishment was merely removal from office."

"That's how things work here. He's a member of Jiang family, and also kin to the emperor."

"Jiang Changfeng is unaffected?"

"Not to my knowledge. I think he's fine. After all he's His Majesty's uncle."

At midday break, news of this matter quickly spread across the college and there were people discussing it everywhere.

Ling Zhang shared a table with Yuwen Jin and the others at lunch time. Yuwen Jin was so excited to hear the news that he could barely keep from jumping up and setting off firecrackers to celebrate. "About time! People of Jiang family have always been so cocky. Now they got their just deserts."

Ji Feng and the other four, who were not as ill-disposed to Jiang Yu as he was, didn't react so dramatically, but this was big news after all, so they also couldn't help but fall into discussion. "Jiang family must've been thrown into total confusion."

"Jiang Changfeng's still in office, so the situation in their family won't be serious. Although Jiang Yu's father was dismissed from his position, he was still His Majesty's cousin. After some time, when the waters are calmed, maybe he'll be reinstated in his post."

"Even if he is reinstated, his standing won't be restored to its original height, and there'll be a long trying time ahead of him. Jiang Changfeng is getting old, and there's no telling how much longer he could hang in there."

"It's hard to say. Actually Jiang Changfeng looks pretty robust."

Yuwen Jin was unhappy to hear this. "He made such a serious mistake, and you think His Majesty will reinstate him some day?"

Having been socializing with Yuwen Jin during these days, Zhao Jiusi and the others had come to know the personal history between him and Jiang Yu, so they found his indignation understandable.

"It's His Majesty's call."

"Yeah. There's no need for you to be frustrated."

Yuwen Jin was not frustrated but angry. Since his excited reaction just now had already been conspicuous enough, Ling Zhang had him by the shoulders in an effort to keep him from showing his anger in a noticeable way, lest there be any unfavorable rumors.

It had never crossed Ling Zhang's mind that Jiang Yu's father would be removed from office, but what had happened in the Xiang City was such a serious event. A riot was no joke, and citizens would never have done such a thing had life not been unbearable. It'd been Jiang family who'd recommended the prefectural governor of the Xiang City, and in the normal course of things, all members of Jiang family would have been punished. Like those students had commented, the emperor had shown mercy to Jiang family by merely dismissing Jiang Yu's father from his position.

"Why did the prefectural governor of the Xiang City have those over ten commoners executed? Have any details been disclosed?" queried Ling Zhang.

"There hasn't been any news about the specific reason for that. I'll have to wait until school is over to ask my father about it and find out, but it's always about those dirty, mean tricks."

"Given that local yamen of Cangzhou had been keeping it secret for such a long time, the chief and many others were definitely involved. This'll be another case of the whole leadership being thrown into prison."