Chapter 433- 435

Chapter 433: An Undercover Agent from the Wan Kingdom

"Here's a secret letter for you, Sire."

Yuwen Tong jerked out of his trance and put away all the letters. "Bring it in here."

Miao Shisan walked into the imperial bedchamber with a letter that had just been delivered to him by a secret bodyguard of Yuwen Tong's, a grave look on his face. "It's from the Wan Kingdom," he said.

Yuwen Tong inclined his head, took the letter, opened it with a special method and then read it.

Shan Congyi and Mu Rongfeng had dared to make trouble in the Great Wen. How could he not return the compliment? The Wan Kingdom and the Luohai Kingdom didn't really trust each other very much. He needed to lay the trap step by step, and when it was done, it would take only the right opportunity to lure his prey into it.

After reading the letter, Yuwen Tong wrote a letter in reply, sealed it with a particular method and then had Miao Shisan deliver it to an undercover agent from the Wan Kingdom.

What with this matter, Yuwen Tong once again stayed up late making arrangements. Meanwhile, Ling Zhang in a faraway county in Cangzhou was also still awake.

The journey had indeed been quite weary, and this day had been hectic too, but due to the strange room and his longing to see Yuwen Tong, Ling Zhang still had a hard job getting to sleep.

...

Ling Zhang, who got to sleep pretty late the night before, woke up very early in the morning. He had to pay a visit to Xiaofeng Village this day, so he needed to get prepared.

Yao Yi and some others had made breakfast already. After Ling Zhang washed his face and dressed, Yao Yi walked inside and disguised him. On the two sides of this residence were another two residences. In front of it was an fairly broad alley. Though it was early in the morning, they could hear the voices of their neighbors and passers-by. Residents of small counties always got up pretty early.

Even when in Tanyang, Ling Zhang, apart from anything else, had been the First Young Master of the Ling family. His grandfather used to be the Assistant Minister of Rites, so the Ling family had been a fairly wealthy family. Afterward, Ling Zhaowen had been promoted to the Right Tongzhi, and the Ling family's status in Tanyang had become even higher. As a result, Ling Zhang had never experienced a morning with such a strong flavor of common people's life when he'd been in Tanyang. What impressed him the most was the fight going on in the residence on the left side. It seemed that the man of that family was dressing down his wife who'd accidentally broken something. In the house on the right side, a woman with a loud voice was scolding her son, saying that he was lazy and shouldn't have still been in bed when the sun was up, that he needed to go to school right away. "Your father and I work so hard to pay for your school, but you have no appreciation of it whatsoever. You ungrateful creature!" bawled the woman. The boy apologized to his mother in a high-pitched voice. And then Ling Zhang heard a commotion from the house, followed by the footsteps of the boy who seemed to be streaking out of the house, yelling along the way. The woman shouted in the doorway, enjoining the boy to get back home immediately after school and not to mess around.

All those walking past the front gates were carrying things on shoulder poles or pushing handcarts. Their footsteps were different. The wheels of the handcarts were rolling forward with a rumble. Some of them met their acquaintances and they greeted each other. Almost all of them were complaining that business was bad lately, that what with the matter of Jiangzhou, the whole prefecture was in panic. Everybody was worried that the imperial court's army might not be able to hold the rebel forces from Jiangzhou at bay. Some said that they'd suffered long enough before the rebel forces in Cangzhou had been handled, and the new emperor had exempted them from the next three years' tax, giving them hope of restoring their lives, but those people in Jiangzhou still wanted to make trouble. They wondered what the rebel forces in Jiangzhou were thinking...