Chapter 424- 426

Chapter 424: The Current Situation in Jiangzhou- A Dispute (II)

"He's still in there. It's just that he disguised himself. His identity has been changing frequently and he never stays anywhere for long, which makes it rather difficult to locate him. This time around, in a sense the Wan Kingdom and the Luohai Kingdom have actually done us a favor by interfering in this matter. We might not be able to find Wang Xiangxin, but they can. Wang Xiangxin's death will make it a lot easier for us to settle the matter of Jiangzhou," said Yuwen Tong.

Wang Xiangxin had actually disguised himself. The very mention of it gave Ling Zhang headaches. Given that Jiangzhou was such a large prefecture and Wang Xiangxin had a lot of men helping him cover his tracks, controlling Jiangzhou behind the scenes, killing him was indeed no easy job. It struck Ling Zhang that Wang Xiangxin was indeed not a sitting duck, that he was ambitious, resourceful and quite sly. This kind of person was really troublesome.

"Are you saying that we'll play the long con once again?" Ling Zhang asked Yuwen Tong.

Since Yuwen Tong had just said that he would use the other two countries to find the target, it was safe to say that he would allow the diplomatic corps of the two countries to leave the capital city.

Yuwen Tong responded, "As the Wan Kingdom and the Luohai Kingdom want to support Wang Xiangxin, there's no way they can do it without paying the price. This time around, I'll have those people suffer another setback in Jiangzhou, which will conveniently serve as a warning for their emperors."

Ling Zhang could tell that Yuwen Tong had made up his mind. It seemed that this time around nothing could stop him.

"How about I go to Jiangzhou?"

Ling Zhang had made this suggestion once when they'd been in the Ling Mansion, but Yuwen Tong had disagreed. On this occasion, after being informed of the complicated situation in Jiangzhou, Ling Zhang was even more anxious to go to Jiangzhou. Wang Xiangxin must be disposed of.

Frowning, Yuwen Tong demurred, "No. Jiangzhou is too dangerous."

Yuwen Tong made the same reply he'd made that day. He didn't want Ling Zhang to risk going to Jiangzhou. Currently, everybody in that place was like a turtle in a jar, and it was fraught with perils. The situation there was even more complex than Ling Zhang imagined. Jiangzhou retained the old law system established by the Zhou family, the former imperial household, and people there still saw themselves as subjects of the Zhou family. Wang Xiangxin possessed not only personal ambition but also finesse. Unlike those officials of Cangzhou who'd cruelly oppressed and exploited the common people, Wang Xiangxin was good at massaging his deeds. In Jiangzhou people's eyes, this commander of Jiangzhou garrison was a good Samaritan.

In other words, apart from Wang Xiangxin's soldiers who were protecting him, the common people in Jiangzhou were also part of the reason why Wang Xiangxin was in his element in Jiangzhou and hiding himself so well. The common people there were innocent, but sometimes they could be more formidable than any army, which was why under no circumstances would Yuwen Tong let Ling Zhang go anywhere near a place like that.

Ling Zhang could tell that Yuwen Tong was keeping something back from him.

"Is there something about Jiangzhou that you're not telling me?" inquired Ling Zhang directly, who had confidence in his great intuition.

Seeing Ling Zhang was determined to go to Jiangzhou, Yuwen Tong had no choice but to intimate to him the current situation in Jiangzhou. "Jiangzhou is still following the old law system established by the former imperial household. Wang Xiangxin is a master of hypocrisy and people in Jiangzhou hold him in very high regard. Presently things are very complicated in Jiangzhou. Most people there are in support of Wang Xiangxin. If you go there to work against Wang Xiangxin, you'll be putting yourself in grave danger."